A cannon crewmember is an important contributor to the Army's success on the battlefield. Artillery teams are used to support infantry and tank units in combat, but also have responsibilities during peacetime. Cannon crewmembers work on cannons known as howitzers, a heavy artillery machine piece with single-barrel firing capability.
Duties of Cannon Crewmembers (13B)
Cannon crewmembers perform the following duties:
- Operate high technology cannon artillery weapon systems.
- Load and fire howitzers.
- Set fuses and charges on a variety of munitions, including high explosive artillery rounds, laser-guided projectiles, scatterable mines, and rocket assisted projectiles.
- Use computer-generated fire direction data to set elevation of cannon tubes for loading and firing.
- Employ rifles, machine guns, grenades and rocket launchers in offensive and defensive operations.
- Drive and operate heavy and light wheeled trucks and tracked vehicles.
- Transport and manage artillery ammunition.
- Participate in reconnaissance operations to include security operations and position preparation.
- Operate in reduced visibility environments with infrared and starlight enhancing night vision devices and other equipment.
- Coordinate movements into position.
- Camouflage position areas.
- Communicate using voice and digital wire and radio equipment.
- Use critical combat survival skills to operate in a hostile environment.
- Maintain operational readiness of vehicles and equipment.
- Supervise handling, transportation, accountability, and distribution of ammunition.
- Assist section chief in supervision of howitzer operations, maintenance, and training.
- Lay weapons for direction, conducting bore sighting and basic periodic tests.
- Supervise the operation, loading, and maintenance of the Field Artillery Ammunition Support Vehicle.
Training Required for Cannon Crewmembers
Job training for a cannon crewmember requires ten weeks of Basic Combat Training and seven weeks of Advanced Individual Training (AIT) at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field under simulated combat conditions. Instruction includes basic soldier skills and critical combat survival skills; duties of a soldier in a field artillery howitzer section, identification of howitzers, and techniques of handling ammunition, setting fuzes, preparing charges, loading, and firing howitzers; and maintenance and communications training.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Calculating targets manually and electronically
- Handling ammunition
- Operating gun systems
- Artillery tactics and battle strategy
Qualifications and Requirements
|ASVAB Score||93 in aptitude area Field Artillery (FA)|
|Strength Requirement||Very heavy|
|Physical Profile Requirement||222221|
Candidates for MOS 13B must also satisfy the following requirements:
- Color discrimination of red/green.
Similar Civilian Occupations
There is no civilian occupation that is directly equivalent to MOS 13B. However, the following civilian occupations make use of the skills developed through MOS 13B training and experience.
- Bus drivers, transit, and intercity
- Bus and truck mechanics and diesel engine specialists
- Business operations specialists
- Data entry keyers
- First-line supervisors/managers of protective service workers
- First-line supervisors/managers of transportation and material-moving machine and vehicle operators
- Mobile heavy equipment mechanics, except engines
- Training and development specialists
Options for Job Recruitment after the Army
After serving in the Army as a cannon crewmember, you may be eligible for civilian employment by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experience and trained Veterans to join their organization.
Organizations that participate in the PaYS program and actively seek skilled Veterans as employees include:
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.