Military Involuntary Separation Pay Charts

IWO TO (March 12, 2012) Lt. j.g. Pamela Pettis reads Sailors assigned to the forward-deployed amphibious dock landing ship USS Germantown (LSD 42) their honorable discharge certificates during a reenlistment ceremony held atop Mt. Suribachi on the island of Iwo To, formally known as Iwo Jima.
••• U.S. Pacific Fleet/Flikr/CC BY 2.0

Military members who are involuntarily separated from the military may be entitled to involuntary separation pay (severance pay).

To be eligible, a military member must have six or more years of active duty, and less than 20 years.

There are two types of pay: (1) Full Pay and (2) Half Pay.

To qualify for full pay, the member must be involuntarily separated, be fully qualified for retention and the service must be characterized as "Honorable." Examples would be separation due to reduction in force, or separation due to exceeding the high year of tenure.

To qualify for half pay, the member must be involuntarily separated, with service characterized as Honorable or General (under honorable conditions), and the reason for discharge must be under certain categories. Examples would be discharge due to failing fitness/weight standards or involuntary discharge due to parenthood.