Most Commonly Asked Advertising Interview Questions
If you're interested in getting hired at an advertising agency you need to be prepared. That's because you will likely be hit with a barrage of questions about yourself, your previous work, and the ad industry at large. The questions you will be asked will vary based on the job and agency you are interviewing for. The questions will range from "What do you like about the field of advertising?" to "How would you change the field of advertising?"
It's a given that you will be queried about your involvement in previous campaigns, how much client interaction you had, and your career aspirations. Interviewers want to know that you understand the advertising process, can help drive change and that you are a skilled communicator.
If you are interviewing for a creative position you will be asked to bring samples of your work. You'll also be asked to explain how you contributed to the work. Be selective when choosing work samples and be prepared to talk about your creative process in detail.
Below is a list of commonly asked interview questions for an advertising job. Take the time to practice your responses aloud to ensure you answer the questions in a clear, concise, and confident manner.
Most Commonly Advertising Interview Questions
- Why are interested in advertising as a career?
- Describe an ad campaign that you think worked well.
- Describe an ad campaign that you think did not work well.
- What is your favorite campaign (both past and present) and why?
- What tools have you used to create ad campaigns?
- Do you have media planning experience?
- How would you integrate social media into a national ad campaign?
- If advertising became obsolete, what would be your next career choice, and why?
- What keeps you motivated?
- Explain the creative strategy and impact on the public of one of our current clients.
- How do you measure the effectiveness of an advertising campaign?
- How would you design and implement an advertising campaign for a new consumer product?
- How would you persuade a customer that a product you are advertising is better than the competition's product?
- What steps would you take to handle an unhappy client?
- Do you believe that any publicity, even bad publicity, is good publicity?
- What qualities do you think are needed to be successful in this field?
- What are the major trends in advertising today?
- What is the difference between marketing, sales, and advertising?
- What is the most effective way to measure and track advertising campaigns?
- What do you consider to be the most effective form of advertising and why?
- Explain in one sentence, this company’s mission?
- Do you understand this company's target market and clients?
- How would you describe this agency?
- Why would this agency be a good fit for you?
- What unique skills and talent can you contribute to this company?
More Interview Questions and Answers
Common job interview questions, plus sample answers you can use to practice for a job interview.
Questions to Ask the Employer
Don't forget to be prepared with a list of questions you want to ask a prospective employer.
Here are interview questions to ask the employer, as well as questions you shouldn't ask an interviewer during a job interview.