The Marine Corps Field 72 occupational field (OccFld) includes those soldiers working in air control, air traffic control, air support, and anti-air warfare. The field also includes the operation and management of the air command and control functions associated with the Marine aircraft wing.
Qualifications required include manual dexterity for man-machine interface, highly developed visual and auditory skills, the ability to communicate effectively with radios, and the leadership and skills to work effectively as a member of a command and control team.
The duties involve skills and procedures that are initially acquired through formal schools and further developed by individual and team training. Air control, air traffic control, air support, and antiair warfare Marines will be required to learn the emplacement, cabling orientation, and operation of air command, control, traffic control, and anti-air warfare defense systems and equipment.
Entry-level assignments include LAAD gunner, air command and control operator, air traffic controller, and air support operations, operator. A wide variety of FMF billets are available in the OccFld in the active and reserve forces at the group, squadron/battalion, or battery level.
Numerous non-FMF assignments also exist at the Marine Corps Systems Command, Marine Corps Air Stations worldwide, as instructors at MOS-producing schools. Marines will participate in routine air command and control functions while training for a designated MOS within the OccFld. (See figure 3-35 for additional information concerning the career/grade structure and schooling of these Marines.) For actual requirements of duties, and how these duties are developed through individual and team training for each MOS, refer to MCO P3500.19, Aviation Training and Readiness Manual, Volume 5, Marine Air Command and Control System (MACCS).
Marine Corps Enlisted Military Occupation Specialties
- 7212 --Low Altitude Air Defense (LAAD) Gunner
- 7234 --Air Control Electronics Operator
- 7236 --Tactical Air Defense Controller
- 7242 --Air Support Operations Operator
- 7251 --Air Traffic Controller-Trainee
- 7252 --Air Traffic Controller-Tower
- 7253 --Air Traffic Controller-Radar Arrival/Departure Controller
- 7254 --Air Traffic Controller-Radar Approach Controller
- 7257 --Air Traffic Controller
- 7277 --Weapons and Tactics Instructor-Air Control
- 7291 --Senior Air Traffic Controller