Android and iOS Mobile Developer Skills
Mobile Developer Skills for Resumes, Cover Letters, and Interviews
Android and iOS mobile developers build, test, and deploy mobile apps. Given the popularity of smartphones and tablets, mobile developers are in high demand. These are among the highest paying tech jobs.
Due to the ever-changing mobile ecosystem, many app developers are self-taught. It's also common for developers to have taken courses in computer science - some even have masters’ degrees or PhDs in the field.
Android and iOS mobile developers need a mix of hard skills and soft skills. Technological skills are a most. But the ability to communicate is also important, as is having excellent analytical skills. Discover the most important mobile developer skills to include on your resume, cover letter, and in job applications, as well as mentioning in interviewers.
How to Use Skills Lists
You can use these skills lists throughout your job search process, from preparing applications materials through to your interview.
Secondly, you can use these in your cover letter. In the body of your letter, you can mention one or two of these skills, and give a specific example of a time when you demonstrated those skills at work.
Finally, you can use these skill words in an interview. Make sure you have at least one example of a time you demonstrated each of the top five skills listed here.
Of course, each role requires different skills and experiences, so make sure you read the job description carefully, and focus on the skills listed by the employer. Also review our other lists of skills listed by job and type of skill.
Top 5 Android and iOS Mobile Developer Skills
- Analytical Skills. Mobile developers have to analyze user needs in order to create applications that users will want to use. The ability to analyze the way people use their mobile devices is therefore critical for a successful mobile developer.
- Communication. Mobile developers need to be able to communicate both orally and in writing. They might have to give instructions to team members or employees. The also might need to explain an application to non-technical team members. This requires the ability to explain technical concepts in clear, easy-to-understand language.
- Creativity. As a mobile developer, you have to creatively write clean code to create applications that are user-friendly. Developers think creatively about how users incorporate their mobile devices into their lives, and then create applications that help them complete various tasks. This job involves not only tech skills, but also an open mind.
- Problem Solving. As a mobile developer, a big part of your job will be to troubleshoot issues with applications on Android or iOS platforms. You will have to be able to recognize various technical problems and understand how to resolve them.
- Programming Languages. Knowledge of programming languages is necessary for a mobile developer. Apple iOS developers generally use Objective-C, and Android developers typically use Java. However, it is useful to know multiple programming languages. This will make you stand out from the other job applicants.
List of Android and iOS Mobile Developer Skills
Here's a list of Android and iOS mobile developer skills for resumes, cover letters, job applications, and interviews.
A - G
- Actively seek new programming knowledge
- Agile methodologies
- Analytical skills
- Android platforms
- Android programming language and requirements
- Android Software Development Kit (SDK)
- App store functionality
- Attention to detail
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
- Cocoa Touch frameworks
- Command line utilities
- Computer science
- Core data
- Create Android applications based on UI/UX requirements and mockups
- Create iOS applications based on UI/UX requirements and mockups
- Critical thinking
- Cross-platform development
- Data structures and algorithms
- Detail oriented
- Develop custom android applications from start to finish
- Develop custom iOS applications from start to finish
- Document building process for maintenance and upgrades
- Estimate scope of project and cost
- Google Play store
- Grand Central Dispatch (GCD)
- Graphical user interface design (UI)
H - S
- Independent worker
- iOS platforms
- iOS programming language and requirements
- iOS Software Development Kit (SDK)
- iTunes Connect
- Node.js development
- Oral communication
- Presentation skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Programming languages
- Responsible web design
- RESTful APIs
- Spatial reasoning
- Strong understanding of mobile design paradigm
- Structured Query Language (SQL)
T - Z
- Test and debug code
- Thorough understanding of development lifecycle
- Time management
- UI / UX
- Up-to-date on new technologies
- User experience design (UX)
- User interface design (UI)
- Website design
- Website development
- Work well under pressure
- Write and maintain applications
- Written communication
- Xcode development environment