Army Enlisted Job Descriptions
91W - Metal Worker
Basic Job Description
An Army Metal Worker fabricates and installs sheet metal products such as roofs, air ducts, gutters and vents. They're also involved in manufacturing custom parts to repair the structural parts of boats buildings and vehicles. The Metal Worker is primarily responsible for performing repairs and maintenance on metal body components, radiators, fuel tanks, hulls and accessories of Army watercraft and amphibious vehicles.
Duties performed by Soldiers in this MOS include:
ferrous and nonferrous metals using oxyacetylene, electric arc, and inert gas welding equipment and repairs, repaints, and installs metal body components, radiators, fuel tanks, modifies other related items, and repairs hulls and accessories of Army watercraft.
Supervises lower grade soldiers and provides technical guidance to the soldiers in the accomplishment of their duties. Performs direct support and general support maintenance metal worker tasks.
8 weeks, 4 days, at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD
ASVAB Score Required: 90 in aptitude area GM
Security Clearance: None
Strength Requirement: very heavy
Physical Profile Requirement: 222222
- Normal color vision required
- Near and distance visual acuity of at least 20/30 in each eye regardless of whether or not corrective lenses are worn
- No more than one error on Titmus Stereo Circles at 16 inches or no errors on eight positions of Verhoeff Stereoptor at 16 inches (Note: These are depth perception tests)
Similar Civilian Occupations
- Automotive Body Repairers
- Lay-Out Workers, Metal and Plastic
- Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
- Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers
- Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders