Ask Susan Questions and Answers
List of Human Resources, Management and Work Related Questions and Answers
Do you have a question about Human Resources, management or work in general? I answer selected questions from readers regularly. Here I've consolidated my reader questions from the past so that all of my readers can benefit from answers that may fit questions that you have, too.
Please note that because of the amount of email I receive, I am not able to personally respond to all questions. I do my best in the time available.
Following is a list of the questions and answers I've posted, to date, by topic.
About HR Questions
Careers in HR Questions
- Do HR Leaders Need a Degree?
- Expand Career in HR Beyond Current Job?
- How Can I Transition into HR for a Mid-Career, Mid-Level Job?
- How to Find a Job in HR?
- How to Land a Human Resources Job?
- Pursue a Career Change Within the HR Department?
- Qualified for an HR Job with a Two Year Degree?
- Start in HR Above Entry Level When Experienced in Other Fields?
- Transition into HR for a Mid-Career, Mid-Level Job?
- Transition to a Career in HR?
Employee Career Questions
Employee Discipline Related Questions
Employee Management Questions
Employee Relations Questions
Hiring and Selection Related Questions
Interpersonal Relationships Questions
- Are Coworkers Negative About Non-Drinkers?
- Can Coworker's Documentation of Her Every Action Hurt Her?
- Can She Discuss With Coworker How His Competitiveness About All Work Is Making Them Look and Affecting Performance?
- Deal With an Employer Who Tracks Employee Minutes?
- Deal With Coworker's Harassing Behavior?
- Employee Won't Trust Coworkers Enough to Share Work?
- What Can You Do When Bullying Morphs Into Mobbing?
Job Candidate Questions
Performing Your HR Job Questions
- Grounds for a Hostile Work Environment Lawsuit?
- How to Control Intermittent FMLA Use and Abuse?
- How to Create a Procedure Manual?
- How to Make a Monthly Employee Recognition Program Effective?
- How to Do HR Business Planning?
- Re-establish and Rewrite Particularly Detailed Dress Code?
- Stay Up-to-Date on Changing Employment Laws and Regulations?
- When Do You Notify Coworkers That an Employee Has Resigned?
Recruiting Related Questions
Training, Development, and Assessment Questions
Workplace Policies Questions
- Are Dress Codes Legal?
- Can Former Employer Access His Company Email Legally After He Was Fired?
- Deal With Visible Employee Underwear?
- Did Employee Violate Company Expense Policy by Traveling With Her Pet?
- Discuss Personnel Issues Via Email?
- Do You Recommend Flexible Hours as Your Work Schedule for Employees?
- Employee Handbooks Required by Law?
- Employees Selling Food at Work?
- How Should an Open Door Policy Work - Really?
- Jobs Without Titles - Pros and Cons?
- Should Employees Share Rooms on Business Trips?
How to Submit a Question
You can find out all about how submitting a question works at the Ask Susan Introduction. To submit a question, please include Ask Susan in your subject line so that I can easily identify reader questions. Click here to email me your question.
Susan Heathfield makes every effort to offer accurate, common-sense, ethical Human Resources management, employer, and workplace advice both on this website, and linked to from this website, but she is not an attorney, and the content on the site, while authoritative, is not guaranteed for accuracy and legality, and is not to be construed as legal advice.
The site has a world-wide audience and employment laws and regulations vary from state to state and country to country, so the site cannot be definitive on all of them for your workplace. When in doubt, always seek legal counsel or assistance from State, Federal, or International governmental resources, to make certain your legal interpretation and decisions are correct. The information on this site is for guidance, ideas, and assistance only.