Athletic Director Cover Letter and Resume Examples
A cover letter for an athletic director or coach position should include previous coaching and athletic experience as well as any teaching and tutoring experience.
It's also a good idea to provide examples and speak to what your involvement with the school system or organization would look like.
Tips for Writing Athletic Director Cover Letters and Resumes
- Match your qualifications to the job listing. Emphasize the skills and experience mentioned in the advertisement. Use keywords from the listing in your cover letter and resume.
- Use sample cover letters and resume templates to guide your work. But be sure to customize your materials for your skillset and background—and to customize your materials for each job listing.
- Highlight your experience. When applying for an athletic director position, include all relevant experience, certifications, and education in your resume. Your experience should be presented in an easy-to-read, reverse-chronological order.
Athletic Director Cover Letter Example
This is a sample cover letter for an Athletic Director position. Download the cover letter template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples.
Sample Cover Letter for Athletic Director
123 Main Street
Anytown, CA 12345
December 11, 2020
Director, Human Resources
123 Charter High School
123 Business Rd
Business City, NY 54321
Dear Mr. Lee,
Please accept this letter of application for the position of Athletic Director at 123 Charter High School. I believe my extensive coaching, teaching, and administrative experience will allow me to successfully fulfill, and even exceed, the requirements of the position.
I agree wholeheartedly with your school’s mission to develop not only academically successful, but also generally well-rounded students. Having served as both a teacher and a coach for over seven years, I am well aware that athletic success cannot be achieved without academic success and I encourage all my athletes to apply determination and hard work to their lives, both on the field and off.
As the Assistant Football Coach at ABC Public High School, I developed a tutoring program to improve the grades of athletes struggling academically. This program improved the grades of dozens of athletes at risk for failing one or more courses.
You state that you are looking for a candidate with not only teaching and coaching experience, but administrative experience as well. Having served as an Assistant Athletic Director for the past two years, I am well-versed in the administrative aspects of being an Athletic Director.
In fact, I initiated a number of beneficial administrative changes including revising the Athletic Handbook in collaboration with students, teachers, and coaches, and led a successful effort to provide more funds and budget support to poorly funded athletic programs, raising $10,000 for the 2019 school year through community engagement of local and regional businesses and cutting costs for the same year by negotiating a reduced cost with suppliers for much-needed field gear.
As an Athletic Director, I would make the same effort to collaborate with students, teachers, coaches and the community to improve the success and integrity of the athletic department. I am confident that my experience and values make me an excellent fit for the Athletic Director of 123 Charter High School. I have enclosed my resume and look forward to speaking with you in person about the position. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
Signature (hard copy letter)
Athletic Director Resume Example
This is an example of a resume for an athletic director position. Download the athletic director resume template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples.
Athletic Director Resume Example (Text Version)
123 Main Street
Seattle, WA 98102
Athletic Director | Coach | Teacher | Administrator
- Enthusiastic, driven individual with seven years of experience motivating students to achieve both academic and athletic goals.
- Lead athletic teams to multiple-season victories through innovative training strategies. Well-versed in injury rehabilitation, sports psychology, and nutrition.
ABC PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL, Seattle, WA
ASSISTANT ATHLETIC DIRECTOR (Sept. 2018-Present)
Promoted, based on effectiveness as Assistant Football Coach, to manage administrative operations for active high school sports program.
- Led varsity football team to three consecutive state championships.
- Synthesized feedback from both coaches and students to improve Athletic Handbook.
- Implemented extensive fundraising program and reallocated budget to develop and expand under-funded women’s and co-ed athletic programs.
ABC PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL, Seattle, WA
ASSISTANT FOOTBALL COACH (July 2016-Aug. 2018)
Taught physical education classes for students in every grade.
- Expanded physical education curriculum by developing and implementing self-defense and ropes course units.
- Led daily conditioning program for varsity football team.
- Oversaw student-athlete conduct and academic eligibility; developed tutoring program for students struggling academically.
XYZ UNIVERSITY, Tacoma, WA
Master of Science Degree, Sports and Health Sciences, (expected) May 2022
ABC UNIVERSITY, Yakima, WA
Bachelor of Arts, Economics, December 2010
Sending an Email Cover Letter and Resume
When sending a cover letter via email, list your name and the job title in the subject line of the email message:
Subject: Athletic Director Position - Your Name
Consider using a formatted email cover letter example to assure you cover every base and leave nothing out. Include contact information in your email signature and close either by copying and pasting your resume in plain text below the cover letter or—ideally—attaching it in Word or PDF format to your message.