Beautician Job Interview Questions
When you're interviewing for a job in a beauty salon, it's important to take the time to prepare to answer the interview questions you will most often be asked. Be ready to discuss your training, skills, ability to work with clients, knowledge of beauty trends, and why you want the job.
Review a list of frequently asked interview questions for beauticians and a list of skills employers are seeking, and then consider how you would answer. The better prepared you are, the easier it will be to ace the interview.
- What do you like and dislike about being a beautician?
- What subjects were your favorites in beauty school?
- What subjects didn’t you like?
- Why are you interested in working at this salon?
- What attributes or skills can you offer this salon?
- Do you have a following of clients?
- What are some newly introduced techniques and trends in manicures, pedicures, and skincare?
- How do you keep up with the latest styles and trends?
- How do you suggest treatments, cosmetics, and skin therapies to your clients?
- How do you greet a client if the salon is fully booked?
- How do you decide priorities when scheduling time?
- Do you think you are overqualified for this position?
- What type of work environment do you prefer?
- Who has impacted you most in your career, and how?
- Have you ever had difficulty working with a manager?
- How do you handle conflict amongst coworkers?
- What would your salon colleagues say about you?
- How do you handle an unhappy customer?
- How do you react to instruction from the customer?
- When given an important assignment, how do you approach it?
- How do you deal with compromise?
- What was the most important task you’ve ever had?
- How do you react under pressure?
- If you were hired, how long would you plan to stay at our salon?
Tips for Acing Your Interview
During interviews, as you can see from the questions above, your interviewer will be interested in learning about your technical skills as a beautician. Interviewers will also ask questions to reveal your soft skills, particularly your ability to get along co-workers (interpersonal skills) and your problem-solving skills. Here are some tips for doing well at your beautician interview.
This is one interview where appearance counts. Interviewers may evaluate your hair, nails, makeup, and how you carry yourself during your conversation. Keep your grooming polished and professional, and make sure to dress appropriately as well.
Show up on Time
Time management is a key skill for beauticians, who can have a fully scheduled day. Show up to the interview a few minutes before the scheduled start time. Turn your phone off (or set it to be silent) so that you do not get distracted during the interview.
Research the Salon
Spend some time on the salon's website. Check out online reviews and scan the salon's social media accounts. Be aware of what customers like – and do not like – about the salon, as well as the services the salon offers. Look for services the salon doesn't currently offer that you might be able to provide. As well, use this research to help you prepare questions to ask during the interview.
Be Prepared With Stories
During the interview, you may be asked questions about how you deal with challenging customers, co-worker conflicts, time management issues, and so much more. Take a look at the skills listed above, and think of stories that show off your abilities in these areas.
Avoid being negative about former co-workers and salons. Stay positive and avoid insults and complaints. You never know how people are connected, so it's best to keep it professional and avoid gossip.
Here's a list of beautician skills that employers seek in candidates for employment. Skills will vary based on the job for which you're applying, so also review our list of skills listed below.
- Appointment Scheduling
- Attending Classes
- Conditioning Hair
- Cosmetics Consulting
- Giving Body Waves
- Giving Brazilian Blowouts
- Giving Permanents
- Hair Coloring
- Hair Cutting
- Hair Design
- Hair Highlighting
- Hair Lightening
- Hair Styling
- Keratin Treatments
- Monetary Exchange
- Nail Services
- Ordering Supplies
- Scalp Treatment
- Shampooing Hair
- Skin Care
- Time Management
- Updated Knowledge of Products
- Updated Knowledge of Styles