We recommend the best products through an independent review process, and advertisers do not influence our picks. We may receive compensation if you visit partners we recommend. Read our advertiser disclosure for more info.
A resume builder is a tool that walks you through the process of creating a resume that conveys your professional background compellingly and gets noticed by hiring managers. When you use such a tool, your resume should be aesthetically pleasing, well-formatted, more convincing, and better able to make it past the gatekeeper bots of an employer’s applicant tracking system (ATS).
The best resume builders are easy to use, highly customizable, affordable, and effective. Keep reading to see which resume builder would be best for your job search.
Best Overall : Resume Genius
Resume Genius is our best overall because it’s a well-rounded, comprehensive resume builder with a number of extra features.
50,000+ pre-written snippets you can import into your resume
Professional resume reviews
The ability to apply for jobs through the platform
No free version
Resume Genius can help you create your resume in as little as 15 minutes with a simple creation process that involves just a few steps:
- Choose your template.
- Upload your existing resume or start from scratch.
- Add or modify the information in each section.
- Preview your resume.
- Download and use the document.
You can then download your resume as a Word or PDF document.
Some of Resume Genius’ key features include:
- 50,000+ pre-written bullet points to highlight your experience
- 15 templates to get the right resume formatting and overall look
- Sample resumes for 90+ job titles to inspire you
- Resume critiques with a Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW) to improve your document
- Cover letter builder to create a matching cover letter
- Library of other templates and samples for thank you notes, resignation letters, and recommendation letters to support the whole job search process
Resume Genius also allows you to search for and apply to jobs directly from the platform. Plus, the ATS-friendly design helps your resume get past the automated filters in the company’s hiring system and be seen by human eyes.
The resume builder lets you create your resume for free, but you must buy a subscription to the service to download it. To try it out before committing, you can opt for a 14-day trial plan for $2.95, which includes:
- Unlimited resumes and cover letters
- Unlimited document downloads
- Resume reviews
- Access to the job application and tracking tool
You can request a refund if you’re not satisfied with the trial. Otherwise, the service will auto-renew and bill you $24.95 every four weeks, and you can cancel anytime. If you think your job search will last a long time, you may want to consider an annual plan with the same features for $95.40, which equates to $7.95 per month.
Resume Genius’ customer service department is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to midnight ET. If you need help, you can reach a representative by phone, email, or live chat.
Best Free Option : Resume.com
Resume.com is our pick for best free option because it’s a well-known resume builder that’s completely free to use.
The ability to share your resume with multiple recipients
Built-in job board
No live resume reviews
Limited customer support
Although it's a free service, Resume.com is simple to use and offers some unique perks. The Indeed-owned builder walks you through the process step by step and gives you guidance on what to include in your resume. To use the system, follow these five steps:
- Enter the job title you want.
- Choose a template from dozens of options.
- Edit each resume section on the screen (education, experience, and skills).
- Add extra sections as needed.
- Review and download or print the document.
You can download your resume in PDF, Word, RTF, or plain text format.
Resume.com resumes are ATS-friendly, and the templates were created using the company’s extensive knowledge of what hiring managers like to see.
Here are some of the builder’s notable perks:
- The ability to share your resume directly on Indeed, social media, and email
- Built-in job board that takes you straight to each company’s website to apply
- Automated resume reviewer that can catch typos and other issues
- Sample resume library, searchable by job title
- Sample cover letters
If you need help, the website has an FAQ section to reference or you can email customer support.
Best for Customizable Templates : Kickresume
Kickresume is our choice for best for customizable templates since the builder offers more than 30 customizable templates, with a total of over one million possible configurations.
20,000+ editable phrases to help enhance your resume
Four different service plans, including a free version
Resume proofreading available
Top-level plan is a bit pricey
May be difficult to prove student status to receive free access
With the Kickresume builder, you can fully tailor your resume to match your professional background and personality, which helps you stand out to employers.
Here’s how you do it:
- Register for a free Kickresume account.
- Answer a few career-related questions.
- Start from scratch or import your LinkedIn profile.
- Choose your favorite template.
- Fill in or edit each section. You can insert phrases from Kickresume's library of 20,000+ editable blurbs if you need a little help.
- Customize your document’s color, font, text size, spacing, etc.
- Review and download your resume.
You can download it as a Word doc or PDF, send it via email, or save it to your Google Drive or Dropbox. Your resume will be ATS-friendly.
Depending on your needs and budget, you have four plans to choose from:
|Free||Premium - Monthly||Premium - Quarterly||Premium - Yearly|
|- 4 basic resume templates - 2 basic cover letter templates - 1 basic personal website template - Unlimited resumes and cover letters - Unlimited downloads - 20,000 pre-written blurbs - 1,500 resume examples - Support for all left-to-right languages - Customer service via email and live chat||Everything from the free plan, plus: - All resume templates - Matching cover letter via the cover letter builder - One-click personal website - Full range of customization options||Everything from the monthly plan, plus: - 1 month of premium for a friend||Everything from the monthly plan, plus: - 1 month of premium for 5 friends - 1 free resume proofreading|
You can cancel your subscription at any time. If you’re a student or teacher, you’re eligible to receive six months of the premium plan for free. You must have a valid international student (or teacher) identity card (ISIC or ITIC) that Kickresume can verify.
If you’d like an extra pair of eyes on your work, you can purchase professional proofreading for $26. You’ll get your resume back within two business days and can feel confident that it’s free of typos and other errors.
Kickresume features Kick, the animated chameleon virtual assistant. If you need help, you can ask him questions. He can also point you to helpful resources on the website. You may also send an email for additional support.
Best for ATS-Friendly Resumes : My Perfect Resume
My Perfect Resume won this category because the builder places a significant focus on creating ATS-friendly resumes.
30 resume templates available
Personalized resume review offered
Automated resume review included
Few plan options
We like My Perfect Resume since their resumes can get past applicant tracking systems using their proprietary technology, SmartApply, which helps get your resume seen by human eyes and boosts your chances of getting an interview.
You’ll create your resume in a few quick and simple steps:
- Choose one of 40 templates and an accent color.
- Upload an existing resume, fill in each section, or add pre-written bullet points.
- Add sections like website, portfolio, or a custom entry.
- Download and start using your new resume.
The system will perform an automatic resume check that scours your resume for 30 common issues. But, if you’d like an actual person to take a look at it before you start applying for jobs, you can purchase a personalized resume review. For $19.95, your document will be analyzed section by section, and the proofreader will send you written suggestions within two business days to make it better.
My Perfect Resume also features:
- Resume examples to study
- The ability to create multiple versions of your resume easily
- A cover letter builder, so you can create a cover letter that matches your new resume
Plus, if you download the Chrome extension, you’ll be able to apply to jobs on Indeed, Monster, CareerBuilder, LinkedIn, ZipRecruiter, and other job boards with your freshly created resume. The system will show you how close a match your resume is to the posted job and then allow you to customize your document before you apply.
As is the case with most resume builders, you must purchase a subscription before you can download your resume or access advanced features. You have two options:
|14-Day Plan||Annual Plan|
|- Unlimited resumes and cover letters
- Downloads available in both Word and PDF formats
- Automated resume check access
- 1 free download, print, or email per resume; each additional costs $0.45
- Auto-renews every 4 weeks for $23.95
|All of the same features as the 14-Day Plan, plus:
- Unlimited downloads, printing, and emails
- Auto-renews each year
You can cancel your subscription at any time. If you’re not happy with the service, you can request a refund during the 14-Day Plan.
If you need assistance, My Perfect Resume’s customer service team is available seven days a week.
Best for Expert Review : Resume-Now
Resume-Now is our choice for best for expert review because the builder offers an automated resume check, a professional resume review, and full expert resume writing packages.
Plain text version of your resume is free
Fast turnaround on personalized services
Builder is easy to use
Limited plan options available
Annual subscription is expensive
Resume-Now company offers different levels of support to accommodate a variety of needs:
|Automated Resume Check||Professional Resume Review||Expert Resume Writing|
|- Included with some paid plans
- Checks for 20 common errors and tells you how to correct them
- Receive personalized advice for each section of your resume
- Catch issues missed by the automated resume check
- Make the document stand out
- Turnaround time is 1-2 business days
|- Resume written by CPRW
- $99 for students and entry-level workers
- $199 for professionals and military personnel
- $299 for C-suite and upper management
- 1 round of revisions
- Add a custom cover letter for $60
- Initial turnaround time is 3 business days
If you’re going to write your own resume, the builder is easy to use. You’ll follow this quick and straightforward process:
- Answer a couple of questions about your career.
- Choose from hundreds of templates and select your accent color.
- Upload your current resume or decide to start over.
- Edit each section, using the supplied pre-written material if desired.
- Add extra sections like accomplishments or activities or name your own section.
- Check the formatting and run spell-check.
- Download your new resume.
Resume-Now lets you download a plain text version of your resume at no cost, but the downside is that it won’t be aesthetically pleasing. To get the full version, you’ll need to purchase one of the three subscription plans:
|14-Day Limited||14-Day Full||Annual|
|- Unlimited resume downloads, emails, and printing
- Unlimited cover letter builder access
- Word, PDF, and TXT formats available
- Mobile app
|All of the features from the 14-Day Limited plan, plus:
- Access to an automated resume check
- Access to thousands of resume examples
- The ability to store several resumes and cover letters
- The ability to search the platform’s job board
|All of the features from the 14-Day Full plan|
Resume-Now has a 14-day money-back guarantee, so you can request a refund if you don’t like the service. All plans auto-renew. The 14-day plan will convert into a monthly plan and cost $23.85 every four weeks. You may end your subscription at any time.
There are many resume builders available, making it challenging to find the right one to help facilitate your next career move. Before you pay for an expensive and lengthy subscription, make sure to thoroughly research the service and the company, including reading reviews from previous customers. If you do, you can feel confident that it will work for you.
However, ResumeGenius is a solid place to start your search. The resume builder offers the features you need and expect, plus a few extras. The company also has a responsive customer service department, available 18 hours a day, five days a week.
Compare the Best Resume Builders
|Resume Builder||Cost||Notable Features||Platform|
|ResumeGenius Best Overall||- $2.95 for 14 days - $95.40 annually||- 50,000+ pre-written phrases - Resume critiques included||Web-based app|
|Resume.com Best Free Option||$0||- Built-in job board - Automated resume reviewer||Web-based app|
|Kickresume Best for Customizable Templates||- $0 for the base plan - $19 for the monthly premium plan - $36 for the quarterly premium plan - $96 for the annual premium plan||- Professional proofreading available - Personal website option||Web-based app|
|My Perfect Resume Best for ATS-Friendly Resumes||- $2.95 for 14 days - $71.40 annually||- 40 resume templates - Personalized resume review available||Web-based app|
|Resume-Now Best for Expert Review||- $2.45 for 14 days of limited access - $2.85 for 14 days of full access - $125.40 annually||- Resume writing services offered - Cover letter writing available||Web-based app|
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do Resume Builders Work?
A resume builder guides you through the process of creating a resume by asking questions, having you fill in sections, and giving you resume writing tips. Then it takes the information you provide and puts it in a template of your choice, making formatting a breeze. Finally, you’ll have the opportunity to customize the document before downloading it.
How Much Does It Cost to Use a Resume Builder?
Resume builder pricing varies from company to company. Some services are free while others cost $100 or more per year.
Are Resume Builders Worth It?
Using a resume builder can be worth it if you’re feeling lost about creating a resume or improving an existing document. Building your resume through one of these tools is also cheaper than hiring a resume writing service. Many people report that using a resume builder helped them land a good job, but your results may vary.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Using a Resume Builder?
It saves you the time of formatting the resume yourself.
It generally optimizes the document for applicant tracking systems.
It makes your resume look aesthetically pleasing.
It provides guidance and support throughout the process.
It costs money to use.
It (sometimes) offers limited customization options.
It doesn’t do all of the work for you.
It makes no guarantees that you’ll get hired where or when you want.
We carefully reviewed 10 resume builders before choosing our top picks. We factored in the builder’s features, ease of use, and cost. We also considered customer support and other special perks, like a built-in job board or the ability to share your resume on social media.
All of our selections are feature-rich, offer good value for the price, and are designed to help job seekers create impressive resumes that result in interviews.