Camp Counselor Cover Letter and Resume Examples
Camp counselor have a job that's a lot of fun (we've all seen the movies, right?) but also bears a weighty amount of responsibility. Counselors oversee large groups of children actively engaged in sports, crafts, and more, ensuring that all of the kids' needs - emotional and physical - are met.
Sound like the right job for you? If you are applying to be a camp counselor, review recommendations for the skills, talents, and experience to emphasize in your resume, as well as reading through the sample resume and cover letter below.
What to Highlight in Your Cover Letter and Resume
Highlight any experience with children on your resume - whether as a counselor, or in another role such as tutor, babysitter, or teacher - as well as any work history that demonstrates that you are responsible and can control and motivate large groups of kids.
Strong communication skills are also important: counselors need to clearly tell kids about rules and explain activities, and also need to be able to share important details with other staffers, the camp director, or even a child's parents.
Many camps require certain classes or certifications; you may, for instance, need to be certified to do CPR. List any relevant certifications clearly in your resume.
The following are examples of a resume and cover letter for a camp counselor. Review them for inspiration before writing your own job application documents.
Camp Counselor Cover Letter Example
Dear Barbra Chandler,
Please accept my enthusiastic application for the position of summer camp counselor. I would love the opportunity to be an enthusiastic, energetic counselor for Sunny Days Summer Camp. I believe that my experience with children and leadership skills would make me an excellent camp counselor for your summer program.
I am comfortable working with children of all ages. As a lifeguard for three summers, I led swimming lessons for children ranging from six to ten years old, and learned to cater my lessons to each age group. For example, I played instructive water games with my youngest students, and ran organized drills with my older clients. As a volunteer for the Special Olympics, I have experience working with children of different physical and mental capabilities. I am therefore confident that I can provide a fun but safe environment for campers of all ages and abilities.
I also have extensive leadership experience, which you state is necessary for any applicant. As captain of my high school football team for two years, I learned to be confident in giving direction to others while still remaining a friendly presence. I have gained further leadership as a tutor; once a week, I am in charge of leading a group of five students in a literary discussion. These experiences will help me be an excellent leader at your summer camp.
I am confident that my experience with children and my leadership abilities are the qualities you are looking for at Sunny Days Summer Camp. I have enclosed my resume, and will call within the next week to see if we might arrange a time to speak together. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
121 Blaine Street
Hartford, CT 06115
Home: 434-334-1122 Cell: 999-909-0012
Camp Counselor Resume Example
Home: XXX-XXX-XXXX Cell: XXX-XXX-XXXX
121 Blaine Street
Hartford, CT 06115
Bachelor of Arts, Easton University, Hartford, CT May 20XX
Minor: Latin American Studies
Overall GPA 3.4
Somerville High School, May 20XX
Overall GPA 3.6
Dean’s List every semester
Tutor, Tutoring Tots Program, Hartford, CT
Sept. 20XX - Present
- Read, discuss, and analyze short works of fiction with five fourth-grade students weekly
- Create worksheets and activities to stimulate interest in each reading, and present brief PowerPoint presentations to provide historical and cultural context
Lifeguard, Somerville Town Pool, Somerville, MA
Summer 20XX – Summer 20XX
- Led group swimming lessons for children ages 6-10, providing instruction and support for beginning and intermediate swimmers
- Upheld the town pool’s safety standards, preventing swimming accidents through vigilant supervision
- Provided first aid care for on-site injuries
Volunteer, Special Olympics Training, Somerville, MA
Jan. 20XX - May 20XX
- Created swimming drills to improve diving skills of Special Olympics athletes of different abilities
- Coordinated annual volunteer banquet for 100 volunteers and athletes; booked venue, ordered food, and decorated venue each year
- Captain, Sommerville High School Football Team, Somerville, MA, 20XX-20XX
- Vice President, Sommerville High School Literary Magazine, Somerville, MA, 20XX-20XX
- First Aid Certification, Fall 20XX
- CPR/AED Certification, Fall 20XX
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, Summer 20XX