Camp Counselor Interview Questions
Here is information on the types of interview questions you might be asked during an interview for a camp counselor job. Below is also information on how to prepare for an interview and a list of specific interview questions.
Types of Camp Counselor Interview Questions
Camp counselor interviews may include a number of question types. Many will be common interview questions you might get at any job, such as questions about your employment history, your education, and your skills and qualifications for the job. You may also be asked questions about you personally, including questions about your personality and work style.
Some of your interview questions will also be behavioral. Behavioral interview questions ask you to explain how you dealt with past experiences. For a camp counselor interview, many behavioral interview questions will be about how you have dealt with issues dealing with children, peers, or co-workers in the past.
You will likely also be asked situational interview questions. These are similar to behavioral interview questions, in that they ask you about different work experiences. However, situational interview questions are about how you would handle a future situation related to your job as a counselor. For example, an interviewer might ask how you might handle a difficult situation with a camper.
Tips for Preparing for a Camp Counselor Interview
To prepare for your interview, make sure you know the requirements of the job. Look back at your resume and list any experiences you have had that demonstrate your ability to meet those requirements. This will especially help with behavioral and situational interview questions.
Because many people interviewing for camp counselor jobs are teenagers with limited work experience, you can include experiences from school in your interview answers.
Before the interview, do some research on the camp you are interviewing with. Make sure you have a sense of the camp’s mission, the structure of the camp, the population you would be working with, and the camp culture. Here's a series of camp counselor interview questions to help you prepare.
Personal Interview Questions
- What qualifications do you have that make you suitable for this position?
- Are you a team player?
- Do you prefer to work alone or with others?
- How do you handle stressful situations?
- What do you do when you don't know the answer to a question?
- What made you want to be a camp counselor?
- Did you attend camp as a child? What did you like about it? What did you dislike?
Questions About Working with Children
- With what age groups do you have experience working?
- What do you like about working with kids?
- What are the top three qualities everyone who works with children must have to succeed?
- What sorts of activities would you do with a group of children ages 5-6?
- Do you hope to have a career working with children?
Behavioral Interview Questions
- Explain a time when you had a conflict with a friend, coworker, or employer. Who was involved? What was the conflict? What was the outcome?
- Tell me about a time that you helped resolve a particularly difficult issue with a child.
- Give an example of a time that you changed a child’s emotions from frustration or sadness to happiness.
- Tell me about a time (at work or school) when you acted as a leader for a group of people. Name a type of activity you would do with children of this age group.
- Tell me about a time when you put the needs of another or others ahead of your own. Who was the person? What was the situation, and how did it go?
Situational Interview Questions
- What would you do if one of your campers refused to do an activity with the rest of the group?
- What would you do if it was raining and you had a group of twenty campers to entertain?
- How would you handle a child who was misbehaving and not following instructions?
- What would you do if a parent was angry with you for the way you handled a situation with their child?
- Imagine one of your campers is homesick and wants to go home. What would you do?
Questions About the Camp
- Why would you be a good fit for our camp?
- What did you decide to interview for our camp rather than another one?