Resume Example for Childcare / Social Services Worker
Interested in a career helping others? A job in social service can allow you to work with children in foster care, provide help to families in need of various services, and more.
Whether you want to work in social services or work with children as a childcare teacher or nanny, you will need a resume that highlights your maturity and responsibility, as well as your experience working with children.
Tips for Writing a Resume for a Childcare / Social Services Job
Read the job listing carefully. Every job will require a unique set of skills and experiences. Read the job listing, and circle any listed skills and abilities that you have. Then, in your resume, emphasize these keywords.
Consider a resume summary. A resume summary at the top of your resume helps you highlight your relevant experiences and skills. In a few sentences or bullet points, highlight the qualities that make you an ideal candidate for the job.
Highlight relevant education. Include any degrees you have received, as well as any relevant certificates (such as First Aid or CPR training). You might also mention any specific coursework related to human services, social services, or childhood education.
Emphasize your interpersonal skills. Social services jobs require the ability to work with a diverse set of clients, including adults and children. If you work in a childcare center, you will need to work alongside other co-teachers. Therefore, highlight any experience you have collaborating with colleagues or providing service to a diverse set of people.
Include all relevant work experience. Before writing your resume, think about any job experiences you have had that have helped you develop skills and abilities necessary for the job. These might include jobs in daycare, customer service jobs, babysitting jobs, and more. Include these in your “Work Experience” section. Underneath each job, list any duties and achievements that show your relevant skills.
Edit, edit, edit. Employers want job candidates who pay attention to detail and demonstrate professionalism. Therefore, make sure your resume is polished. Read through your resume for any spelling, grammar, or formatting errors. Ask a friend or family member to read through your resume too.
Child Care / Social Services Worker Resume (Text Only)
Rod A. Weisner
32489 Widgeon Avenue Mission, B.C. V2V 5C2
Home: (604) 555-2340
- Over 10 years of experience developing engaging activities for children of all ages in community settings.
- Excellent personal motivation with a proven ability to build and work collaboratively in both a team-concept environment and independently.
- Focused, versatile, multi-task oriented, flexible, and able to adapt effectively to challenging and emergency situations.
- Well developed skills in prioritizing, organization, decision making, time management, and verbal/written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills resulting in exceptional rapport with people. Proven success in initiating, promoting and maintaining strong interpersonal relations. Able to deal courteously, professionally, and tactfully with the general public in a variety of circumstances.
Unrestricted Class IV Drivers License
Bachelor of Science with Honors Major: Behavioural Science; Canadian Union College Minors: Counselling, Sociology
Level 1 Coaching Certification Coaching Association of B.C.
Industrial First-Aid -- Level II Certification St. John Ambulance
Recreation Coordinator MISSION ASSOCIATION FOR COMMUNITY LIVING, Mission, B.C. 20XX - Present
- Responsible for all aspects of the 20XX Recreation Program within the Association.
- Duties include program implementation, scheduling of activities, coordination of participants, transport and supervision of participants to and from activities, and operating on a monthly budget.
- Successfully raised funds, organized, and implemented a new Fall Break Vacation Camp for children ages 5-10. Camp has continued to run for five years, with a 58% increase in participation.
Production Operations Worker & Industrial First-Aid Attendant NORTHERN TELECOM, Burnaby, B.C. 20XX - Present
- Involved with the coordination and presentation of several health and safety-related projects.
- Knowledge and experience in Wave Solder Machine operations, Through-Hole, Assembly, SMT Inspection, Paste Machine, Conceptronic Operations, In-Circuit Testing, BPCS, and Shelf Manufacturing.
Teaching Assistant – Introductory Techniques of Counselling Course CANADIAN UNION COLLEGE, Lacombe, Alberta. 20XX
- Critiqued and instructed counseling sessions using the Carkhuff method.
- Proctored examinations and graded students on final counseling sessions.
- Received Outstanding Teaching Assistant award.
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT AND RELEVANT ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
Baseball Coach MISSION MINOR BASEBALL ASSOCIATION 20XX
- Technical development coach of an 11-12-year-old baseball team.
Group Co-Facilitator B.C. PARENTS IN CRISIS 20XX - 20XX
- Developed, promoted and facilitated self-help modeled group of 10-20 parents.
- Connected parents with services and resources in their area that would assist them in dealing with their children's behavioral problems.
- Provided options, referrals to various resources and community agencies, and support for parents.
Group Leader YOUTH TO YOUTH, Boulder, Colorado. 20XX
- Participated in a weekend intensive group therapy training seminar for 15 teenaged boys with various cases of anxiety.
- Organized and led group activities and therapy sessions.