College Student Resume Example
When creating a resume as a college student, you need to emphasize not only your work history but also your education. For a student resume, you can also demonstrate your skills and abilities by including volunteer work and other extracurricular activities.
The following is a sample resume for a college student including education, work and internship experience, awards, and achievements.
Tips for Writing a College Resume
Read below for tips on how to write a strong college resume.
- Focus on education. Emphasize your academic history. Along with the name of your school and degree, include any achievements, such as a high GPA or any academic awards. If you have taken courses related to the job you’re applying for, list those as well.
- Include relevant jobs. Think about the skills and experiences required of the job you want. Include any jobs where you developed these qualities. Even if your work experiences aren’t directly related, think of ways to highlight experiences you had that are relevant to the job you want. For example, you might include a former job as a cashier if it helped you develop customer service or leadership skills.
- Include extracurricular activities. Because you likely have limited work experience, emphasize any non-work activities. These might include clubs, sports, babysitting, volunteer work, or community service. All of these activities can show your skills and abilities.
- Include leadership experience. Have you held a position in a club, or been a captain on a sports team? Have you had any leadership responsibilities at your previous jobs? Be sure to list these experiences, as they show your ability to lead a team.
- Use action verbs. Action verbs help show your responsibility. When describing your achievements, use action words. Words like led, researched and created to portray your experiences in an energetic way. Check out a list of action words for useful examples.
- Quantify when possible. Whenever possible, include numbers to show your achievements. For example, you might say that you worked the cash register at a store that managed $10,000 daily, or that you helped 50 - 100 customers daily at your retail job.
- Edit, edit, edit. Proofread your resume carefully before submitting it. A clean, error-free resume will make you look professional. Ask a friend or family member to read the resume for you as well.
- Use a resume example. Use a resume example (like the one below) or template to guide your own writing. A resume example can help you decide what kind of content to include, as well as how to format your resume. However, be sure to tailor a resume example to fit your own experiences, and the job you are applying for.
College Student Resume Example
This is an example of a college student resume. Download the college student resume template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples.
College Student Resume Example (Text Version)
123 College Street
State College, PA 12345
Developing creative ad campaigns that meet clients’ goals
People person experienced at selling advertising and working on all aspects of successful campaigns.
ABC COMMUNICATIONS, New York, NY
SUMMER INTERN (June 2018—August 2018)
Partnered with design intern to create and execute two sell sheets, one print ad, and one postcard. Wrote radio script submitted with campaign proposal and assisted in other writing assignments.
- Awarded Best Campaign of competing teams.
123 COFFEE SHOP, State College, Pa.
SHIFT SUPERVISOR/BARISTA (May 2016—Present)
Train new employees, open and close store, handle sales, build positive customer relationships, design promotional fliers for company events, and help maintain store webpage.
XYZ RESTAURANT, Washington, D.C.
SERVER/HOSTESS/EXPEDITER/BUSSER (May 2014—August 2015)
Provided prompt service for more than 75 customers per shift.
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
STATE UNIVERSITY, State College, Pa.
Bachelor of Arts in Advertising; Minor: Spanish; GPA: 3.35, anticipated in May 2019
- Dean's List: Fall 2017, Spring 2018
- Awarded Best Advertising Campaign Proposal for Health Committee, State University, Spring 2017
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
Information Technology Skills:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- ADP / Workforce Now