College Student Resume Example
When creating a resume as a college student, you need to emphasize not only your work history but also your education. You can also demonstrate your skills and abilities by including volunteer work and other extracurricular activities.
The following is a sample resume for a college student including education, work and internship experience, awards, and achievements.
Tips for Writing a College Resume
Read below for tips on how to write a strong college resume.
- Focus on education. Emphasize your academic history. Along with the name of your school and degree, include any achievements, such as a high GPA or any academic awards. If you have taken courses related to the job you’re applying for, list those as well.
- Include relevant jobs. Think about the skills and experiences required of the job you want. Include any jobs where you developed these qualities. Even if your work experiences aren’t directly related, think of ways to highlight experiences you had that are relevant to the job you want. For example, you might include a former job as a cashier if it helped you develop customer service or leadership skills.
- Include extracurricular activities. Because you likely have limited work experience, emphasize any non-work activities. These might include clubs, sports, babysitting, volunteer work, or community service. All of these activities can show your skills and abilities.
- Include leadership experience. Have you held a position in a club, or been a captain on a sports team? Have you had any leadership responsibilities at your previous jobs? Be sure to list these experiences, as they show your ability to lead a team.
- Use action verbs. Action verbs help show your responsibility. When describing your achievements, use action words. Words like led, researched and created to portray your experiences in an energetic way. Check out a list of action words for useful examples.
- Quantify when possible. Whenever possible, include numbers to show your achievements. For example, you might say that you worked the cash register at a store that managed $10,000 daily, or that you helped 50 - 100 customers daily at your retail job.
- Edit, edit, edit. Proofread your resume carefully before submitting it. A clean, error-free resume will make you look professional. Ask a friend or family member to read the resume for you as well.
- Use a resume example. Use a resume example (like the one below) or template to guide your own writing. A resume example can help you decide what kind of content to include, as well as how to format your resume. However, be sure to tailor a resume example to fit your own experiences, and the job you are applying for.
College Student Resume Example
123 College Street, State College, PA 12345
555-555-555 e: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bachelor of Arts, degree anticipated May 20XX
State University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Current GPA 3.53
AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Dean's List - Fall 20XX, Spring 20XX
- Awarded Best Advertising Campaign Proposal for A Foundation, ABC Communications, Summer 20XX
- Awarded Best Advertising Campaign Proposal for Health & Wellness Committee, State University, Spring 20XX
Summer Intern, June 20XX to August 20XX
ABC Communications, New York, New York
- Partnered with design intern to create and execute two sell sheets, one print ad, and one postcard
- Created and presented collaborative intern campaign to entire agency and founders of the organization
- Awarded Best Campaign of competing teams
- Wrote radio script submitted with campaign proposal and assisted in other writing assignments
Shift Supervisor / Trained Barista, September 20XX to present
123 Coffee Shop, State College, PA
- Trained new employees, opened and closed store, handled total sales, built satisfied customer relationships
- Awarded Best Customer Service five consecutive times
- Designed promotional fliers for company events, and updated store webpage
Server, Hostess, Expeditor, Busser, May 20XX to September 20XX
321 Restaurant, Washington, D.C.
- Created customer base and close relationships with patrons of the restaurant
- Provided prompt service while taking orders, serving food and closing the check for over 75 customers per shift