College Student Resume Example with Summary
A resume summary statement (also known as a resume summary or summary of qualifications) is a list or few sentences at the top of a resume that highlights your qualifications for a position. It is a great way to quickly show an employer why you are a strong candidate for a position.
Resume summary statements can be useful at any career level, include as a college student.
Below is an example of a resume for a college student, which includes a resume summary.
Also see below for tips for writing a resume as a college student.
Tips for Writing a College Student Resume
- Highlight your education. As a student, you should highlight your academic successes. Along with your school and degree information, include any achievements, such as a high GPA, and any academic awards. If you have completed any projects or taken courses related to the job you are applying for, you can include these as well.
- Consider a summary. You might want to add a resume summary statement. This should be located below your name and contact information. In a few sentences (or bullet points), state some of your skills and accomplishments that make you an ideal fit for the job. Try to include keywords from the job listing.
- Emphasize all related experience. Even if you do not have much employment history, you can include volunteer experiences and any extracurriculars related to the job. Also be sure to highlight any times that you were in a leadership role, whether you were the captain of a sports team or the president of a school club. You can put all these experiences in a section titled “Related Experience,” or divide them into different sections.
- Use examples. Look at some resume examples or templates to guide your writing. A resume example can help you decide what kind of content to include, and a template can help you format your resume. However, be sure to tailor a resume example to fit your own experiences, and the job you are applying for.
- Proofread your resume carefully before submitting it. A clean, error-free resume will show that you are professional and that you pay attention to details. Ask a friend or family member, or a college career counselor, to read the resume for you as well.
College Student Resume Example with Summary
87 Washington Street
Hopedale, NY 11233
- Honors student with record of academic and extracurricular success
- Extensive leadership experience, particularly within a higher education setting
- Adept at working across departments, with faculty, administrators, and students
- Award-winning written communication skills
Hopedale, NY: BA, Philosophy
Cumulative GPA: 3.93
Honors recipient every semester
(Expected graduation May 20XX)
Georgetown University Study Abroad
University of Trier, Germany
Washington, DC: Washington Semester in American Politics
RESEARCH AND ANALYTICAL EXPERIENCE
U.S. Department of Education
Intern, Office of the Deputy Secretary
- Generated concise written synopses of current legislative action for use by the Department, Congress members, and the general public through the ED website
- Researched and presented to policymakers several successful school design and construction projects to support the Administration Schools as Centers of Community proposal
Washington Semester Independent Research Project
- Examined how the increasing dependence of needy students on federal loans instead of grants for higher education has affected college access and enrollment, culminating in 65-page paper
- Received award for Outstanding Final Paper
Historical Society of Hopedale, NY
- Researched archival materials, wrote text panels, and selected objects for a historical exhibit on Hopedale in the 1930s
Student Government Association, XYZ University
Vice President/Academic Affairs
- Chaired 60-member body representing each academic department and student perspectives on curricular issues
- Participated in college-wide policy decisions concerning such ethical issues as the sale of cigarettes on campus
- Made detailed oral and written presentations on curricular reform actions in public student forums
Presidential Search Committee, XYZ University
- Served as one of two students on a college-wide committee to nominate the sixth President of XYZ University, working through all stages including:
- A detailed self-study of institutional needs and goals to determine selection criteria
- Search for, and hiring of, a higher-education specialty consultant
- Written evaluation of each applicant, attended and helped conduct interviews, and provided a final recommendation to the Board of Trustees
Honors Forum Council, XYZ University
Student Body Representative
- Set goals and guidelines for the first two years of XYZ University’s innovative, comprehensive honors program whose mission is to increase intellectual engagement and academic rigor in students’ freshman and sophomore years
Student Alumni Society: Founding Member (20XX-present)
Committee on Academic Freedoms: Student Representative (20XX-present)
XYZ Orchestra: French Horn (20XX-present)
Philosophy Club: Secretary (20XX-present)
Intermediate in written and spoken German