The following is an example of a resume for a job in construction. This resume writer emphasizes her knowledge of particular software programs that are used often in construction and engineering. She highlights these skills to stand out to employers looking for workers knowledgeable in the latest industry technologies.
When writing a resume for a construction job, it’s important to echo the industry-specific keyword phrases that employers use in their job advertisements. This is because many employers use automated applicant tracking systems which are programmed to give priority to resumes that incorporate specific keywords. If you take the time to match your resume to the job, it will help your application get noticed and help you get called in for an interview.
What to Include in Your Resume
While the resume example below, targeted to civil engineering jobs, emphasizes engineering software programs, resumes for other sorts of construction jobs might use different keywords, depending upon the skills that are being sought in the job description. Some of these construction keyword skills include:
- For Construction Managers / Supervisors: construction management, project management, inspection, labor relations, quality control, scheduling, supervising, building site supervision, blueprints, reporting, time management, punch lists, contracting, estimating, material costing, invoicing, renovations, OSHA, hazardous materials, HAZMAT, building codes, electrical codes, and environmental codes.
- For Construction Tradespeople: brick laying, carpentry, cement mixing, concrete mixing, plumbing, drywall installation, electrical wiring, HVAC, refrigeration, sheet metal work, iron work, masonry, metal lathing, painting, pipe fitting, roofing, surveying, carpeting, trim detailing.
- For General Construction Labor roles: heavy lifting, heavy equipment operation (bulldozers, forklifts, backhoes), measuring, safety regulations, hammer skills, power tools, demolition, truck driving.
This resume includes sections on work experience, education, and skills. It also contains an initial, keyword-rich summary of qualifications (also known as a qualifications profile) that serves to immediately demonstrate to a hiring manager that the candidate has the qualifications outlined in the job advertisement. Finally, in the “Experience” section, it uses bullets after each job description to describe key projects and achievements that will help the candidate stand out among the competition.
Construction Resume Sample
This is a sample resume for a construction job. Download the construction job resume template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples.
Construction Resume Sample (Text Only)
123 Main Street, New York, N.Y. 10001
· Detail- and deadline-oriented Civil Engineer Technician leveraging superb command of CADD and Auto Cad to facilitate timely design of state-of-the-art construction site plans.
· Meticulously handle budget estimation and cost control responsibilities, closely tracking project phases to ensure completion within established budgets and timeframes.
ALBANY CONSTRUCTION, Albany, N.Y.
Civil Engineer Technician, September 2016-Present
Responsible for layout, design and production of site plans and preliminary blueprints for commercial office, retail and residential projects.
· Red River Shopping Mall: Successfully streamlined construction designs and processes to ensure on-time execution of 7-store strip mall.
· Sunnyside Acres: Led project team’s design and planning of 12-unit apartment complex.
MISTRALS GROUP, New York, N.Y.
Civil Engineer Technician, 2014-2016
Responsible for planning, cost analysis, preliminary approvals applications, and design and production of site plans.
· Involved with all phases of design and construction of over a dozen retail store projects
EAGLE EYE CONSTRUCTION, New York, N.Y.
Draftsman / Site Work Coordinator, 2012-2014
Conducted field surveys for private and public sites. Drafted office and retail improvement projects.
- Responsible for survey crew training and scheduling for over 20 crew members
Civil Engineering Certificate (2011)
XYZ Community College, New York, N.Y.
· Computer Aid Drafting and Designing (CADD) and Auto CAD
· Experience with HTML and web-designing software
· Knowledge of OSHA construction site safety standards and regulations