Cover Letter and Resume Examples for Cooks
If you're applying for a job as a cook, your job application should emphasize your experience in food services along with any credentials and education. In your resume and cover letter, it's also a good idea to highlight cooking-related skills, such as attention to detail, customer service skills, the ability to flourish in a fast-paced environment, and more.
Below, you'll find an example of a cook's resume and cover letter. Use these two documents for inspiration while creating your own resume and cover letter.
Cook Cover Letter Example
Your City, State Zip Code
Your Phone Number
City, State Zip Code
Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name,
I am applying for the job of cook at XYZ Hospital. You specify that you are looking for someone with cooking experience and customer service skills. My skills and experience make me an ideal candidate for the position.
I have been working in the culinary industry for seven years. For the past three years, I have served as a short-order cook at XYZ Diner. I am therefore comfortable preparing meals quickly and efficiently - a necessary skill in a busy hospital cafeteria. I have also served in other capacities in restaurants; I began as a dishwasher, and then spent three years as a line cook at XYZ fast food restaurant. I would be comfortable performing a variety of tasks in the cafeteria.
You state that applicants should have strong customer service skills. As a short-order cook, I constantly interact with customers; I serve customers seated at the bar and know how to maintain a positive report with customers. In fact, I received the award for "Employee of the Month" four times at XYZ Diner, due in large part to my customer service skills.
I am confident that my experience and skills will make me a valuable member of the XYZ Hospital culinary team. I have enclosed my resume and will call within the week to see if we might arrange a time to speak together. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
Signature (hard copy letter)
Cook Resume Example
The following is a resume example for a cook. This resume includes work experience in the food industry, even work experiences that did not necessarily involve cooking. It also contains personal information and education sections.
Note how this resume quantifies information wherever possible. Using numbers — such as customers served, people supervised, training hours, etc. — helps make your accomplishments clear to potential employers. This resume does not include a summary section or a skills section, but those are two optional sections you can consider adding to your resume. Here is more information on how to write a resume.
123 Main Street, Albany, NY 12242
Short-Order Cook, XYZ Diner, Albany, NY
- Cook and serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner to over 200 customers daily
- Developed new recipe for breakfast sandwich; became one of the most popular menu items
- Awarded Employee of the Month four times due to customer service and culinary skills
Line Cook, XYZ Fast Food Restaurant, New York City, NY
September 20XX-May 20XX
- Prepared meals for customers in efficient, timely manner
- Followed recipes and presentation specifications as set by restaurant management
- Cleaned and maintained station following latest hygiene standards
Dishwasher, XYZ College Cafeteria, New York City, NY
September 20XX-September 20XX
- Responsible for ensuring dishes were washed efficiently to guarantee timely customer service
- Trained fifteen incoming employees on operating techniques for washing equipment
- Performed prep work (chopping, assembling sandwiches) when cooks required assistance
XYZ University, May 20XX
Certificate in the Culinary Arts
- Received over 200 hours of hands-on training on topics ranging from basic cooking skills to menu planning to kitchen hygiene and safety
XYZ College, May 20XX
Bachelor of Arts