Curriculum Vitae Cover Letters
When you apply for a job with a curriculum vitae, it's important to include a cover letter, also known as a covering letter, with your CV. This letter allows you to make a favorable first impression, using narrative in your own tone of voice to catch the reader’s attention and encourage them to give a serious review to your attached resume.
Curriculum Vitae Cover Letters
A cover letter should be included with every curriculum vitae you send, and should also be tailored to respond to the unique and specific requirements requested by each organization you are approaching; don’t try to use the same cover letter for every job you apply for. This letter needs to provide detailed information on why are you are qualified for the job. It should also outline the reasons for your interest in the company or organization to which you are applying.
Use your cover letter to identify the most relevant skills or experiences specific to the job, rather than restating the information in your CV. If you're writing a cover letter for a position at a college or university, here's how to write an academic cover letter.
What to Include in Your Curriculum Vitae Cover Letter
Kevin Fitzgerald is the North American Marketing Communications Manager for Michael Page International, one of the world's leading professional recruitment consultancies. He provides the following suggestions about what information to incorporate into your curriculum vitae cover letter.
- The content of your cover letter should be brief and structured; avoid lengthy repetition of information covered in your CV. Unlike a CV, it is acceptable to write a cover letter in the first person.
- Your letter should address the relevant contact, whose name often appears in the job advertisement. Avoid “Sir” or “Madam” if possible.
- If you are replying to a job ad, say so. Mention the job title, any reference number, and where and when you saw it.
- In some cases an advert will indicate that a more substantial letter is required. Always follow specific instructions and include any information if it is particularly requested (for example, your current salary).
- Briefly outline your current situation and why you are seeking change. Include mention of your current or last job, qualifications, and professional and academic training, tailoring your information to make it as relevant as possible to the organization or job applied for.
- Tell the potential employer a little about themselves to demonstrate you have properly read the position description and that you have done some research into the organization. Also, state why you are interested in them as an employer.
- You need to succinctly emphasize why an employer may want to meet and employ you. Highlight your transferable skills, achievements and versatility: what you can contribute and what makes you stand out from your competition. You can also mention personality traits relevant to the role applied for, taking care not to appear too subjective.
- Ensure that your CV covering letter flows freely, however, and does not slavishly match every point on the job description. The reader should be left with an overall impression that you are a potentially valuable addition to the workforce.
- Negative information of any sort should be avoided in your cover letter as well as on your CV.
- Close your letter with a polite expression of interest in further dialogue with the recruiter. Do mention that you would like the opportunity to discuss your suitability further in a personal interview and that you await a response in due course.
- Ensure your letter is neatly and clearly presented with no grammatical or spelling errors.
- Email covering letters should be written in a common font (such as Times New Roman, Verdana, or Courier New) with standard formatting and should emulate a handwritten letter in terms of style.
Cover Letter Samples
Depending on the employer's submission requirements, curriculum vitae cover letters can either be submitted online with your CV, uploaded online, or mailed. Be sure to follow the application instructions and follow the directions on how to apply.