Customized Cover Letter Sample for a Career Change
What a Cover Letter Should Look Like
Cover letters submitted as part of a job application should follow a standard format, but different types of applications require differences in the content and approach of their cover letters. For example, the sample cover letter below focuses on a career change and the skills required for a position in sales and communications. Note that an important part of this approach is showing the employer how skills from a previous career can benefit the position in question.
Your Contact Information
City, State, Zip Code
Cell Phone Number
Employer Contact Information
City, State, Zip Code
Dear Mr./Ms. LastName
I am applying for the Inside Sales position posted on (the website where the position was posted). At your convenience, I'd appreciate the opportunity to discuss the position and my candidacy with you. You can find my resume attached.
I am looking to bring my well-honed public relations, marketing, and client-focused interpersonal communication skills to an inside sales position.
Pertinent experience and skills for the posted position include:
- The power of persuasion. I’ve pitched stories for C-level executives via phone and email and placed them in major media outlets, such as MSNBC, "CIO Magazine," Sirius Satellite Radio, MSN Money, "AARP Bulletin," and "The New York Daily News."
- The ability to reach key audiences As a journalist, I published stories for print and online publications, including CareerJournal.com, CollegeJournal.com and StartupJournal.com (online publications of "The Wall Street Journal"), "Consumers Digest," "Woman's Day," and "ePregnancy Magazine." As a copywriter, my work has been used in email marketing, online and offline advertisements, blogs, brochures, taglines, and websites.
- Strong financial aptitude. My experience includes more than a decade in the accounting profession in external and internal client-facing environments.
- With a B.S. in accounting from Southern New Hampshire University and a minor in management information systems, I have the hard skills required to succeed in a sales role.
- Strong computer skills. I am experienced in both Microsoft and Mac software and also have a basic-level familiarity with HTML, CSS, and digital design.
- I bring a variety of personal skills that will ensure success in this role. I am a good listener with a solid work ethic and an insistent desire to excel. I have a proven ability to meet deadlines without fail and enjoy a fast-paced environment. I'm also a fast learner with extraordinary factual recall.
I'd love to find out more about the position you're looking to fill, and I would welcome the opportunity to tell you how my skills and ideas can benefit (name of company). I can be reached at (555) 555-5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Your Signature (hard copy letter)
Your Typed Name