Database Administrator Cover Letter Example and Writing Tips
A database administrator's job involves working with a variety of databases, from bank account networks to hospital record systems. Tasks can range from improving or upgrading an existing database to creating an entirely new system.
What to Include in Your Cover Letter
To demonstrate that you’re qualified for a DBA job, be prepared to show sample projects or to summarize in your cover letter how you would plan to structure a database and build a test version.
If you have additional duties in your current role, like supervising support staff, training users, and producing performance reports, highlight those responsibilities as well.
Database security is another large and growing focus in the field. If you have expertise in this arena, use your cover letter to point out your understanding of the ways in which web-based technologies and databases fit in with security systems.
More Skills to Highlight
- Organizational skills: A critical skill in relation to managing large databases, including procedures for backup and recovery.
- Technical skills: Your knowledge of the ways in which computers store and retrieve data.
- Interpersonal skills: Your ability to communicate with programmers and systems technicians to ensure that applications properly access a database. Play up your communication skills on the user end as well.
Tips for Writing Your Cover Letter
- Write a targeted cover letter for every job opening. You may be applying for many similar roles, but take the time to personalize your cover letter every time you apply. The effort will pay off with a final product that shows your enthusiasm for this specific job, not just any job.
- Match your qualifications to the job listing. Remember that many employers advertise jobs with similar job titles but very different duties. By analyzing the job listing and using the right keywords, you can demonstrate that you’re able to perform the tasks required.
- Review cover letter samples and templates. Different types of cover letters may be appropriate for different jobs. For example, if you have a referral, you should mention that in the cover letter so that your application stands out. You might also wish to combine some aspects of a value proposition letter so that you can call attention to your ability to help the company achieve its goals.
- Format your cover letter correctly. Follow standard guidelines for font size and type, margins, and line spacing. Otherwise, your letter may look cluttered or less than professional.
- Proofread before you send. Have an eagle-eyed friend review your cover letter for typos and other mistakes before sending. Ask them to pay particular attention to the spelling of personal and company names and to flag anything that catches their eye. If you’re sending your cover letter by email, be sure to send yourself a test message first to make sure that your formatting is preserved during transmission.
Database Administrator Cover Letter Example
This is an example of a database administrator cover letter. Download the database administrator cover letter template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples.
Database Administrator Cover Letter (Text Version)
123 Main Street
Anytown, CA 12345
December 21, 2020
Director, Human Resources
123 Business Rd.
Business City, NY 54321
Dear Mr. Lee,
I'm writing to express my interest in your posting for an experienced Database Administrator. As a certified Microsoft Database Administrator with a Bachelor’s degree in computer science and hands-on experience overseeing the design, development, and maintenance of various database systems, I believe my skills perfectly suit your needs.
I enjoy solving large, complex data problems enjoy the process of building and determining a solution. I am able to quickly identify new resolutions that will not only help solve major business problems but also ensure that the business maintains local, federal and business sector compliance given my extensive research abilities and deep industry knowledge.
The requirements and skills listed on your website closely match my background and future career goals. I look to grow in my role as a Database Administrator and have begun pursuing advancement by enrolling in a Master’s of Science in computer science at ABC University. I believe your company will be an ideal place to apply my education and work experience.
My resume is attached, and I'd be happy to pass along a list of past projects. I can be reached anytime at 555-555-5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to speaking with you about this opportunity.
Signature (hard copy letter)