- Fact-checker for breaking news updates to articles on The Balance as well as routine checks
- Award-winning former local government reporter at the Herald-Times in Bloomington, Indiana
- Former editor at the Ellettsville Journal
- Former government reporter at the Times-Mail in Bedford, Indiana
- Former legal assistant with experience in finding law, policy and financial information
Emily is an award-winning former newspaper reporter with more than five years of experience covering local government and court cases. Her coverage of court cases, healthcare news and features for The Herald-Times received recognition from the Indiana chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Emily also has prior experience finding law, policy and financial information as a legal assistant at a law firm.
Emily served as an editor for Ellettsville Journal, a weekly print publication, where she produced local government coverage and worked with freelancers on story pitches and source development. During her stint at the Times-Mail, she not only served as the publication’s county government reporter but was also involved in proofing pages and managing its social media presence.
Emily received Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Political Science from Indiana University