Do you need to say thank-you to an employee for a job well done? How about to a colleague who has helped you in some fashion? A thank-you letter is a great way to show your appreciation for someone at work.
Here is a variety of employee thank-you letter, email, and note examples, which you can edit to fit your own personal and professional circumstances. Also read below for tips on how to send an appropriate thank-you letter to an employee.
Tips for Writing Employee Thank-You Letters
- Choose the Format: Your thanks can be sent as a written letter, a thank-you note, or an email thank-you message. All three are appropriate. A written letter is the most formal, a thank-you note is more personal, and an email is a great idea when the time is of the essence.
- Use a Clear Subject Line: When you're sending an email thank-you message to an employee or colleague, the subject line of your email message can simply say "Thank You."
- Consider Handwriting Your Letter: A handwritten thank-you note always makes a really good impression. It is more personal than a typed letter or email.
- Use Letterhead: Whether you type or hand-write your thank-you letter, it’s a nice touch to use company letterhead if this is available.
- Keep It Short: Do not write an extremely long thank-you message. Keep it short and sweet—simply explain what you are thanking them for, and express your gratitude.
- Proofread and Edit: Be sure to proofread your letter for any spelling or grammar mistakes thoroughly. This is still a professional message, so you want it to be polished.
When to Send an Employee Thank-You Letter
- Send Sooner Rather Than Later: It is always a good idea to send a thank-you message as soon as possible, while the event is fresh in the person’s mind. Of course, sending a thank-you message late is better than never sending one at all.
- Send It! When in doubt, say, “Thank you.” It is never inappropriate to give thanks, however small the reason. People love to know they are appreciated, especially in the workplace.
Watch Now: How Gratitude Makes Happier Employees
Employee Thank-You Letter Examples
Review these letter and email message examples saying thank you to employees, Download the thank-you letter template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples of how to show your appreciation and say thank you.
Sample Employee Thank-You Letter #1
3456 Oakland Way
Fresno, CA 93704
July 22, 2020
3456 Oakland Way
Fresno, CA 93704
Thank you so much for your assistance during our office move. You and your staff really came through, proving what it means to be "team players." The extra effort you all put in was really appreciated.
Next week, please plan a day to take your department to lunch at Chez Alvin, on the company account, to thank everyone for all their hard work.
I really appreciate everything you are doing to help the company succeed.
Jonas Sullivan (signature hard copy letter)
Sample Employee Thank You Letter #2
Director of Human Resources
1234 Music Avenue
Nashville, TN 37011
July 22, 2020
Wanda Thompson Human Resources Assistant Acme Company 1234 Music Avenue Nashville, TN 37011
Thank you for all your help on our recent company-wide restructure. It was really helpful to have your input since you went through a similar reorganization at your previous company. I'm happy to have you as a part of this team. In the short time you have been here, you have really helped to make things run smoothly.
I truly appreciate your willingness to help out wherever needed. It's that kind of flexibility and dedication that will help this company grow to its full potential.
Ann Rivers (signature hard copy letter)
Sample Employee Thank You Email Message
I really appreciate all your help in getting the restaurant ready for our grand re-opening. I'm glad that you have decided to stay with us during this time of change, and seem to be looking forward to the opportunities this new venture will bring.
Your positive attitude has made a big difference in the way the rest of the staff has viewed the coming changes, and I really appreciate your support.
Sample Employee Thank You Email for Covering Maternity Leave
Subject: Thank You
Hi Mary Anne,
Thanks so much for helping out while Janice is out on maternity leave. I really appreciate you offering to work more hours and to help out with some of the extra things that she's had time to do up until now.
I really appreciate your assistance. It's hard in a small business when one of us is out for a long period of time; it’s employees like you who help to make it work for us all.
More Thank-You and Appreciation Message Examples
Here are more thank you letters for colleagues, managers, and others in the workplace.
- Employee Referral Thank You Letter
- Sample Appreciation Email To Employee
- Thank You Letter for Boss
- Sample Thank You Letter for a Colleague
- Sample Letter of Appreciation - Help at Work
- Thank You Letter for Project Help