Engineer Resume Example and Writing Tips
When applying for a job as an engineer, you want to emphasize your technical engineering skills and experience while also writing a clear and easy-to-understand resume.
Need some tips on how to write a strong engineer resume? Have a glance at the following information, then use the engineer resume example to help you write your own resume. This sample is for a job with a particular focus on electrical engineering.
Tips for Writing an Engineer Resume
- Include a resume summary. Consider including a summary of qualifications, also known as a resume summary statement, at the beginning of your resume. A resume summary provides the hiring manager with a concise description of your professional accomplishments and qualifications for the job. It shows him or her, at a glance, why you are a strong candidate.
- Include key accomplishments. Underneath each job description, include a bulleted list not only of your job responsibilities, but also of your key accomplishments. Try to use numbers to quantify those accomplishments. For example, you might explain that you "developed a process for building electrical circuits that sped up production time by 30%." These accomplishments show the hiring manager how you might add value to his or her company.
- Use resume examples. Use resume examples, like the one listed below, to help you write your resume. Examples can help you decide how to format your resume, as well as what information to include. You can look at generic resumes, but engineering resume samples will be the most useful because of their specificity to your field.
- Edit, edit, edit. Even though technical, hard skills are critical for an engineer, you still want your resume to be well-written. Be sure to thoroughly read through your resume before sending it, proofreading for any spelling and grammar errors. Also make sure your formatting is consistent. For example, if you bold one job title, be sure to bold all of them.
Consider asking a friend, family member, or career counselor to look at your resume as well.
Engineer Resume Example
This is an example of a resume for an engineer position. Download the engineer resume template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples.
Engineer Resume Example (Text Version)
Kenneth R. Zajac
8999 Lantree Drive • Howell, MI 99999 • (123) 456-7890 • email@example.com
Building better-performing companies and products through engineering
Respected engineer with more than 10 years of experience in engineering and management, research and development, leadership and mentoring, as well as problem-solving, seeks position with a top firm.
Key skills include:
● Conducting Six Sigma Projects
● Reducing Warranty Costs
● Experience in Engine Control
● Performing Custom Data Acquisition
● Experience with NVH Testing Systems
● Improving Product Quality and Manufacturability
ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY, Livonia, MI
CHIEF R&D ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGIST (February 2013 – Present)
Promoted to research, develop, and implement all technologies, products, standards, procedures and processes including engines/transmission control, custom data acquisition, and NHV testing systems.
● Conducted Six Sigma and Lean Six Sigma projects to reduce engineering rework.
● Reduced project lead times companywide by 20 percent over a two-year period.
ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY, Livonia, MI
CHIEF CONTROLS ENGINEER (June 2008 – February 2013)
Managed a group of 20+ engineers including hiring, performance review, and daily supervision.
● Developed and administered engineering concept, preliminary, and final design review process.
● Evaluated work assignments and developed a master schedule for multiple projects.
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY, Big Rapids, MI
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (3.75 GPA, Honor Roll Each Semester), 2008
Six Sigma Black Belt, Michigan Manufacturing and Technology Center, Plymouth, MI
Other Engineering Certificates
Energy Efficiency Management Certificate (EEMC) • Certified Power Quality Professional (CPQP)