Free Microsoft Word Letter Templates
Microsoft letter templates can be used to create a variety of job-related letters. They are available as a free download for Microsoft Word users, and they are accessible within your Word program.
Using a template can help you ensure that you include all the necessary details in your letter. It can also help you format your letter. However, keep in mind that a template is simply meant to be a guide, and you'll need to edit the letter to customize and personalize it.
Read below for information on the types of Microsoft letter templates available, and how to access and use them.
Available Microsoft Letter Templates
Microsoft Word Cover Letter Templates
Microsoft cover letter templates are available for a variety of circumstances. Add your personal information to the template to create cover letters you can use for a variety of types of job applications.
Microsoft Word Interview Thank You Letters
Microsoft interview letter templates include letters to use to create an interview thank you or follow up letter.
Microsoft Word Reference Letter Templates
Microsoft Word reference letter template options include general reference letters, letters requesting a reference, letters thanking a reference, and other reference letter samples. Edit these templates to create your reference letters, or share these templates with someone who is writing you a reference.
Microsoft Resignation Letter Templates
Microsoft resignation letter templates, designed to fit a variety of scenarios, are available as a free download for Microsoft Word users. Make sure to tailor the template to fit the specific circumstances surrounding your resignation.
More Free Microsoft Templates
Microsoft letter templates are available as a free download for Microsoft Word users or are available within your Word program, to use to create a variety of letters. There are letter templates for cover letters, resignation letters, reference letters, thank you letters, interview letters, and a variety of business letters.
How to Download a Letter Template
To access these letter templates from your computer:
Open Microsoft Word, then click on:
- New from Template
Then, click on either:
- Templates or
- Online Templates (this will show you a larger collection than what you have on your computer)
Then, click on:
Then, select the template you want to use.
Once you click on “New from Template,” you can also find letter templates by typing in the kind of letter you are looking for in the search bar in the top right-hand corner.
To access the templates online:
- Visit Microsoft Letter Templates
- Click on the Word templates (as opposed to Excel or PowerPoint templates)
- Click on “Letters” to see the letter templates
- When you find one you like, click on the letter title to preview the template
- Click the “Download” button, then follow the instructions to download the letter template to your computer
- You can also click “Edit in Browser” to edit online - however, you need set up an account with Microsoft to do this
Once you go to the “Microsoft Letter Templates” page, you can also find letter templates by typing in the kind of letter you are looking for in the search bar in the top right-hand corner.
Once you have downloaded or opened a letter template file, type over the text in the file to create your own, personalized letter.
Create Your Own Template
If you can't find a template that suits your needs, or perhaps you want to merge some elements of a couple templates, you can create your own.
Open Microsoft Word, then click on:
- File and then click “New Blank Document”
- In the document, create your template, or copy and paste material for a variety of templates to create a template that fits your needs
- Make any revisions you want to the margin size, page size, etc.
- Click File and then “Save As.” Under “Format” save your document as “Word Template.” Name your document, then click “Save.”
- Once you have saved your template, you can use that template at any time. When you open Word on your computer and click "New from Template," you will find this template under "My Templates."