Funeral Director Job Interview Questions
Are you interviewing for jobs as a funeral director? It is important to thoroughly prepare for your interviews. One way to do this is to practice answering common interview questions.
Here is information on the types of interview questions you might be asked during an interview for a funeral director. Below is also information on how to prepare for an interview and a list of specific interview questions.
Use this list to prepare when interviewing for funeral director jobs.
Types of Funeral Director Interview Questions
Many questions you will be asked during a funeral director interview will be common interview questions you might be asked at any job, including questions about your employment history, your skills and abilities, and your strengths and weaknesses.
You will likely be asked about your experience working in funeral homes, as well as your educational experience related to funeral homework (including degrees and licensure).
You will also likely be asked a number of behavioral interview questions. These are questions about how you have handled various work situations in the past. For example, you might be asked how you have handled an argument within a family for whom you are arranging a funeral.
Other questions might be situational interview questions. These are similar to behavioral interview questions, in that they are questions about different work experiences.
However, situational interview questions are about how you would handle a future situation related to your job. For example, an interviewer might ask how you might handle arranging a funeral on a family's very tight budget.
Finally, you will likely receive questions about the specific funeral home. They might ask you why you want to work for their funeral home in particular.
Tips for Preparing for a Funeral Director Interview
One important way to prepare for interviews is to think about examples of times you demonstrated the skills necessary for the job. Look back at the job listing, and circle any key skills and abilities. Then, think of specific examples of times you demonstrated each other these. It will make it easier to think of these examples during the interview.
Another way to prepare is to practice answering interview questions you will likely be asked. Read through the list of funeral director interview questions, and practice answering each. The more you practice, the more confident you will be during the actual interview.
Also be sure to research the organization thoroughly before the interview. Make sure you have a sense of the services the funeral home provides, its typical clients, etc.
Funeral Director Interview Questions
- Why are you interested in funeral directing?
- What demographics are you most comfortable working and interacting with? Are you more comfortable with elderly clients than younger clients?
- How do you handle the emotions of the job?
- How did you become interested in funeral service? Why do you enjoy working in funeral service?
- How do you handle stressful situations?
Questions About the Profession
- What is the most difficult part of being a funeral director?
- What does excellent customer service mean to you in this industry?
- As a funeral director, how important is customer satisfaction?
Behavioral Interview Questions
- Describe the most stressful situation you have ever had at work. How did you handle the situation? What would you have done differently?
- Tell me about a time you had to demonstrate patience.
- Tell me about a time you had trouble maintaining composure.
- Tell me about a situation when you were able to have a positive influence on another person or group of people.
- Describe a time that you went above and beyond when consoling someone.
- Describe a time when you had to multitask at work. Do you find multitasking difficult?
Situational Interview Questions
- Imagine there is a disagreement among family members about the funeral arrangements, specifically the budget. How would you handle this issue?
- What would you do if there was a conflict between two people at a funeral service? How would you resolve the conflict?
Questions about the Organization
- Why are you interested in our funeral home?
- What suggestions do you have to make our service even stronger?
More Job Interview Questions
In addition to job-specific interview questions, you will also be asked more general questions about your employment history, education, strengths, weaknesses, achievements, goals. and plans.