Hair Stylist Cover Letter and Resume Examples
When you are applying for a job, the first thing the hiring manager sees is your cover letter, even before they take a look at your resume. To make sure they want to see that next page, you need to compose a cover letter that gets their attention and highlights a few relevant skills and experiences.
Your cover letter shouldn’t reiterate what is on your resume, but rather, call attention to a few details that make you perfect for the position. Here's an example of a cover letter for a hair stylist position.
Hair Stylist Cover Letter Example
This is a cover letter example for a hair stylist position. Download the cover letter template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples.
Hair Stylist Cover Letter Example (Text Version)
123 Main Street
Anytown, CA 12345
September 1, 2018
Director, Human Resources
Shear Hair Salon
123 Business Rd
Business City, NY 54321
Dear Ms. Lee,
I would like to express my strong interest in your hair stylist position at Shear Hair Salon. With years of experience as a hair stylist and colorist for a wide client base, I know my skill and versatility would make me an asset to your salon.
I have over five years of experience working as a hair stylist for a variety of people and hair types. I graduated from the ABC School of Hair Design and Cosmetology, where I gained over 1,000 hours of experience styling, coloring, and treating hair. I subsequently worked for four years at La Flor Hair Salon, where I honed my skills and also learned new treatments, including balayage and keratin treatments. My clients recommend me to others for my skill and versatility.
You state in your job posting that you want a hair stylist who can also work part-time at the reception desk. Having worked as a receptionist for a spa and a hair salon, I am very comfortable communicating with clients both on the phone and in person. Both clients and employers have praised my strong communication skills, and I am confident I can bring those skills to a position at your salon.
I have attached my resume and the two requested recommendations for your review. I will call your office next week to arrange a time to speak in person about my qualifications. Thank you for considering my application.
Your Signature (hard copy letter)
Hair Stylist Resume Example
This resume example for a hair stylist includes sections on education, related experience, and other experience. Because this applicant has limited work experience as a hair stylist, she includes jobs in which she developed related skills, including jobs in administrative and secretarial work.
If you do not have much experience in the industry in which you are applying for a job, include experiences (paid work, volunteer work, and internships) in which you developed skills that are applicable to the industry.
Download the hair stylist resume template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples.
Hair Stylist Resume Example (Text Version)
1234 Randolph Avenue
Oak Park, IL 60302
ABC School of Hair Design Cosmetology, Chicago, IL, May 2016
- Spent over 1,000 hours studying hairstyling as well as color and treatments for certification
- Received Award for Strongest Work Ethic with Certification
Oak Park-River Forest High School, Oak Park, IL, May 2013
- Overall GPA 3.38Clubs: Paint and Sketch Club, Theater, Yearbook Committee
- Athletics: Gymnastics Squad Captain
Swan Beauty Parlor, Chicago, IL
Hair Stylist and Colorist (Fall 2016-present)
- Color and treat dozens of clients' hair weekly with state of the art techniques
- Introduced Brazilian Keratin treatment to the salon
- Schedule appointments for clients with myself and 18 other employees
- Selected Employee of the Month twice since start of employment for attention to detail and customer service
Sweet Dreams Beauty Salon, River Forest, IL
Hair Stylist (Summer 2015-Fall 2016)
- Cut and styled hair, specializing in hairstyles for bridal and prom parties
- Responsible for waxing and threading
- Trained in applying Brazilian Keratin treatment
Oak Park Beauty, Oak Park, IL
Assistant/Receptionist (Fall 2014-Summer 2015)
- Greeted and welcomed clients into the waiting area, serving coffee and tea as well as taking coats
- Scheduled clients' appointments with all employees
- Swept cut hair and cleaned shampooing stations
- Lead role in The Sound of Music, Spring 2013
- Headed the Yearbook Committee Fall-Spring 2012 and designed the cover
- Designed and painted a mural on one side of Oak Park-River Forest High School representing the city of Chicago as part of a fundraiser for Child Cancer Research, Spring 2011
Sending an Email Cover Letter
If you're sending your cover letter via email, list your name and the job title in the subject line of the email message:
Subject: Hair Stylist Position - Your Name
Include your contact information in your email signature, and don't list the employer contact information. Start your email message with the salutation. Here's an example of a formatted email cover letter.
More Sample Cover Letters
Cover letter samples and templates for a variety of career fields and employment levels, including entry-level, targeted and email cover letters for many different jobs.