High School and Middle School Job Titles
If you enjoy working with children and young people but do not necessarily want to be a teacher, there are still many career options available to you. From coaches to nurses, schools need a large staff to help keep students encouraged and safe.
Middle School and High School Job Titles
Below are just a sampling of jobs at middle schools and high schools:
- Admission Director: Typically hired by private or parochial schools, the admissions director is responsible for recruiting and evaluating new students. They will give campus tours, discuss curriculums with parents and students, manage entrance exams, distribute scholarships and go to private school fairs to represent the school.
- Autism/Behavior Specialist: In both public and private schools, autism and behavior specialists are becoming more common. These specialists are responsible for helping students with special needs, such as autism or other behavior disorders, get the support they need to succeed in school. The specialist evaluates each student and works with the family and the student's doctors to come up with a plan. The specialist may determine the student needs extended time for taking tests or needs a smaller classroom, for example.
- Athletic Coach: Coaches are needed in both middle and high schools for a wide range of sports. From soccer to swimming, many schools offer many sports and extracurricular activities for students. The coaches help students practice and improve their performance for competition and represent the school at meets.
- Music Teacher: Music teachers can teach the history of music, but also can instruct students on how to play certain instruments. In larger schools, the music teacher may have a student orchestra to run and maintain, planning concerts and managing practice schedules.
- College Counselor: College counselors play a large role in the lives of high school students. They help students identify their interests for a potential major, consider colleges and universities, apply for admission and scholarships and even help students apply their AP credits for college credit.
- School Nurse: The school nurse ensures all students have the appropriate vaccinations, waivers, and medicines on file if needed. They perform evaluations during certain milestones to check height, weight, hearing and eyesight to make sure all is normal. In the case of an illness or sports injury, the nurse can provide care until the student can be taken to a doctor or hospital, as needed.
- Food Service Specialist: In many schools, food service specialists do far more than just serve meals. They often are responsible for coming up with nutritional plans for students, making sure students have access to a wide range of fresh fruits and vegetables and minimizing the amount of unnecessary calories.
- Librarian: Librarians maintain the school libraries, keeping the school stocked with educational books and novels too. They catalog and manage book circulation, help students with research and work with other libraries to get other resources.
A - Z List of School Job Titles
There are many positions available in education for teachers, as well as outside of teaching. Here's a list with more job titles for high school and middle school positions.
A - B
- Academic Director
- Admissions Recruiter
- American Sign language Education Assistant
- Art Teacher
- Assessment and Curriculum Programs Coordinator
- Assistant Principal
- Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction
- Athletic Director
- Autism/Behavior Specialist
- Behavior Analyst
- Behavior Specialist
- Bilingual Education Assistant
- Bus Driver
- Business Education Teacher
C - F
- Chief of Career Pathways and Integrated Learning
- Choral Music Teacher
- College Counselor
- Communication Specialist
- Computer Science Teacher
- Coordinator of Behavior Programs
- Director of Equity and Compliance
- Director of Food Service
- Director of Guidance
- Educational Assistant
- ESL Teacher
- Family and Consumer Science Teacher
- Food Service Supervisor
- Guidance Counselor
H - R
- Health/Physical Education Teacher
- Human Resources Assistant
- Human Resources Director
- Industrial Technology Teacher
- Instrumental Music Teacher
- Learning Disabilities Teacher/Consultant
- Life Skills Teacher
- Math Teacher
- Occupational Therapist
- Parent Involvement Specialist
- Resource Coordinator
- Resource Room Teacher
S - V
- School Community Relations Coordinator
- School Counselor
- School Librarian
- School Nurse
- School Psychologist
- School Social Worker
- Science Teacher
- Social Studies Teacher
- Special Education Compliance Coordinator
- Special Education Teacher
- Speech and Language Pathologist
- Student Assistance Counselor
- Substitute Teacher
- Success Coach
- Supervisor of Instruction
- Supervisor of STEM Programs
- Teacher's Aide
- Vice Principal