High School Graduate Resume Example
Resume Example for a High School Graduate With Work Experience
Whether you’re a current college student or a full-time member of the workforce, writing a resume as a recent high school graduate can be a challenge. But even without a lot of work experience or a college degree to bolster your candidacy, you can highlight your skills and qualifications to differentiate yourself from the competition and impress the hiring manager.
How to Apply to Jobs as a High School Graduate
The goal is to recognize and highlight the experience that you do have, and tie it to the requirements as listed in the job description.
For example, you might not have held a formal position as a manager, but perhaps you’ve trained new workers at your after-school job and helped your supervisor balance schedules and make deposits. Demonstrating responsibility and leadership qualities may help make up for the lack of an official title.
On the other hand, maybe you have little in the way of paid job experience … but a lot of volunteer work on your CV. Don’t just match apples to apples. Dig into your experience and abilities and focus on what you can do for a prospective employer.
Finally, don’t assume that you’re not qualified for the job, just because you lack some of the ideal requirements listed in the job description. Hiring managers tend to list the skills, experience and qualifications that they’d hope to find in the perfect candidate. But, the reality is that this person might not exist. Further, the best person for the job might be someone who doesn’t have all of the requirements, but has other things to recommend them, such as a positive attitude, the ability to learn, and excellent communication and people skills.
Unless you’re lacking the absolutely essential skills for the job, it’s usually worth it to apply. The only thing you have to lose is your time. Plus, the more you apply to jobs, the better you’ll get at writing resumes and cover letters, participating in job interviews, and networking your way into new opportunities.
If you’re a high school graduate who’s currently working on a resume, the following example, which includes both volunteer and work experience, will help you get started. Remember to customize your resume for your experience and for each job application.
High School Graduate Resume Example
Home: 555-555-6543 Cell: 456-555-7654
244 Chestnut Street
Southampton, PA 18966
XYZ College, Pittsburgh, PA, May 20XX (projected graduation date)
George Washington High School, Southampton, PA, May 20XX
Overall GPA 3.8; Honor roll each quarter
Honors: French Honors Society, National Honors Society, National Merit Scholar
Clubs: Political Science, Show Choir, Theater, Yearbook Committee
Athletics: Varsity Soccer Captain, Intramural Volleyball
Assistant, Berkshire County Playhouse, Berkshire, PA
- Coordinated rehearsal and performance schedules for the cast and crew of three one-week productions over one season
- Created and managed social media accounts for the playhouse to market shows and ongoing activities
Barista and Cashier, Joe's Cafe, Southampton, PA
- Was selected employee of the month for efficient, friendly service
- Promoted to barista September, 20XX
Tutor, Student Tutors at Washington, Southampton, PA
- Instructed elementary school students on how to apply mathematic and scientific concepts to their homework assignments
- Coordinated a weekend trip to the Philadelphia zoo each season and designed a packet of math and science questions related to the animals and exhibits children encountered there
- Advised one tutee for four years, encouraging and assisting him with studies and adjusting to different grade levels, helping him increase his grade average by one full letter grade
Volunteer, Soup Kitchen, Philadelphia, PA
Fall 20XX - present
- Served meals to over 100 individuals each week
- Created and implemented a brown-bag lunch program collecting donations to pack bags of food for individuals to take home with them
Volunteer, John Smith Campaign for House of Representatives
- Made over 1,000 phone calls to local residents and businesses to inform them about Smith’s positions on issues
- Helped organize and publicize a voter registration day at George Washington High School for the start of the school year
- Lead role in The Music Man, Spring 20XX
- Named MVP after leading soccer team to state finals victory in 20XX fall season