High School Resume Template
As a high school student with limited work experience, it can be hard to know how to organize your resume, and what to include. By focusing on your education, volunteer, and extracurricular experience, you can craft a strong resume that will stand out to an employer.
Read below for more detailed tips on writing a high school resume. Also, read below for a resume template that lists the information you should include in your high school resume. Use the template to generate a list of information to include on your own resume.
Tips for Writing a High School Resume
- Emphasize your education: As a current student, you want to emphasize your education. Put your education information at the top of your resume. If you have a strong GPA, include this. Also list any academic awards, honors, or other achievements.
- Include volunteer and extracurricular experience: If you are a high school student, your work experience might be limited. Emphasize any other forms of work, including volunteer experience. Also include any extracurricular activities you participate in, including clubs, sports, and other organizations.
- Emphasize leadership experience: Employers are always looking for job applicants with leadership experience. If you were a captain for your sports team or the vice president of your student council, be sure to list these positions.
- List your skills: Consider including a “Skills” section on your resume to include any skills you have that are related to the job. For example, you might list your computer skills, language skills, or soft skills.
- Connect your resume to the job: Review the job posting before creating your resume. Circle any key qualifications or requirements of the job. Be sure to include in your resume any experiences and skills that show you are an ideal fit for the specific job.
- Edit, edit, edit: Thoroughly proofread your resume before submitting it to an employer. Make sure your format is consistent and easy to follow, and that you have no spelling or grammatical errors. Ask a friend or family member, career coach, or school guidance counselor to read through your resume.
- Use samples and templates: Reading resume samples is a great way to get ideas for the content of your resume. Templates can help you organize the information on your resume. While it’s a good idea to use resume templates and samples, be sure to tailor each one to fit your own work history and the job for which you are applying.
High School Resume Template
Below is a high school resume template. This template lists each section of a resume and provides examples of what to include in each section. Use this template when crafting your own resume; fill in each section with your personal information.
555 Main Street • Jacksonville, FL 33333 • (123) 456-7890 • email@example.com
Bringing energy, enthusiasm, and problem-solving skills to any position
High-achieving student-athlete seeking an entry-level position in retail sales.
Key skills include:
- Distance runner with a strong work ethic
- Problem solver
- Leadership experience
- Fast learner
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
BEACH HIGH SCHOOL, Jacksonville, Fla.
Diploma expected 2019
Awards & Honors
- Honor Roll, each of first three years of high school
- Second-place award in Duval County Literary Criticism Essay Contest
Skills & Certifications
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Adobe Creative Suite
- PADI (scuba diving)
- Four-year member of the cross country team, co-captain as a senior
- Three-year member of track & field team with fourth-year projected
- Three-year member of the school newspaper staff, entertainment editor as a senior
- Two-year member of the school’s Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA)
CITY OF JACKSONVILLE BEACH, Jacksonville Beach, Fla.
LIFEGUARD (JUNE 2018—Present)
Monitor beaches and respond to swimmers or beachgoers in need of assistance.
JONES FAMILY, Jacksonville, Fla.
BABYSITTER (February 2015—Present)
For more than three years, have regularly cared for three children aged 4-11 when parents are away.
There is no need to include references on your resume. Rather, have a separate list of references to give to employers upon request.
Customize Your Resume
In all cases, be sure to personalize and customize your resume so it reflects your skills and abilities, and connects them to the jobs you are applying for.