How to Answer Interview Questions About Shift Work
The ability to change up shifts or work through the night, whether in a hospital or a shipping warehouse, is a special skill of its own. People who work at night may have trouble balancing their work and family lives, let alone their sleep, health, and well-being. Energy can diminish if you're not accustomed to late hours, weekend work or all-nighters, and morale can wane if you don't feel like a part of the company's daily activities.
Here are sample answers to the job interview question about your interest in working different shifts, taking into account different values and outside commitments.
- Absolutely. I am single, live alone, and I don't mind keeping hours that take me out of the nine to five routine.
- As long as I would know at the start of a placement what the hours would be, I would be willing to work any shift. I would prefer to keep one shift throughout each placement.
- I am really only available during regular business hours as I have an elderly family member who I need to care for during other times.
- I wouldn't prefer to work at night and weekends but during peak workloads, I am ready and available to work whenever you need me.
- Night and weekends are the only time I can spend with my family and that's very important to me. But in the case of an urgent situation, if you need me then I will definitely be available.
- I enjoy night work because to me it's a very peaceful environment. However, I need my weekends to refresh and recharge.
- If there is an urgent need or an emergency I'll definitely work whatever shifts you need; the company's growth and success are mine as well.
- I'll definitely work whatever shift is needed because I feel a responsibility towards the company to complete the necessary work.
- I have no problem working different shifts as needed. I consider organization and my coworkers to be my family, and if they need me, I'll be there.
- I can work any shift you require; it's my duty to be there when you need me.
- I would be happy to work night and weekend shifts if you have a proper security guard in place.
- I am not comfortable with night shifts due to safety concerns but am happy to work any other shift as needed.
- I'm a self-starter and I'm confident making decisions during any shift.
- I can stay focused for a long period of time without getting tired, so I'm available for any shift.
- My schedule is very flexible and I'm open to whatever shift you offer.
- I do value a work-life balance, so while I'm available for any shift, I would like to create a consistent schedule so I can make other plans.