United States Secret Service Internships
Student internships with the United States Secret Service permit students to gain a better understanding of career options within the Secret Service. Students can get experience working in the DC office or in various field offices located throughout the country.
Students interning with the United States Secret Service will get a chance to gain exposure to new and emerging occupations and technologies. Students may be able to get credit for the experience depending on the student’s college or university. Working as an intern with the United States Secret Service will provide the student with the relevant experience required if the student later decides to apply for permanent full-time employment.
- All candidates must be a U.S. Citizen
- All candidates must be at least 16 years of age at the time of appointment
- Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment during the upcoming semester or quarter as a diploma/certificate/degree-seeking student in high school, or in an educational institution not above the baccalaureate level that is accredited by a recognized accrediting body
- Candidates must obtain an agreement from the institution to participate
- Maintain a satisfactory academic record of a 2.5 or better cumulative grade point average
- Candidates cannot be a son or daughter of a current Secret Service employee
- Students must be able to obtain a Top Secret clearance and pass a pre-employment drug screening and extensive background investigation
- All candidates must be students and are expected to work a minimum of 12 hours per week, a minimum of one semester, two quarters, or a summer session. The majority of assignments are clerical with no previous experience required.
- Optional Application for Federal Employment, Declaration for Federal Employment, and a college transcript; OR
- Resume, Declaration for Federal Employment, and a college transcript.
The forms may be obtained at the Office of Personnel Management website or you can contact the Secret Service Recruitment Program at 202-406-5800, or TTY 202-406-5390 if you have any additional questions.