Nickelodeon is the branch of MTV Networks focused on kid and family, and basic cable’s No. 1 network. It reaches more than 96 million U.S. households, which is more than all three major networks (ABCNBC, and CBS) combined. Channels in the Nickelodeon family include Nick Jr., Nick at Nite, and TV Land. Nickelodeon Animation Studios, located in Burbank, creates, is that part of Nickelodeon that develops and produces various cartoons, including the popular Spongebob Squarepants, The Fairly OddParents, The Penguins of Madagascar, Dora the Explorer, and many more.
Nick Animation Studio is the arm of Nickelodeon responsible for the creation and development of all their animated features, both TV and movies. They were named a Top 10 Internship (#7) by Vault.com in 2013 and were ranked #14 in 2014! The Nickelodeon Animation Studio is a creative haven for artists and creative people, and puts at their beck and call the latest in state-of-the-art equipment and technology.
This cutting-edge animation technology allows artists to combine traditional animation with the latest digital technologies. The Nickelodeon campus a 120,000 square foot multi-building complex that includes a high-tech recording facility, high-powered workstations wired with fiber optics, and an 80-seat viewing theater which doubles as a gym.
Types of Internships
Interns at Nickelodeon Animation Studio perform a wide variety of functions as production assistants. They gain hands-on experience in various departments including TV production, post-production, casting, animation and live-action development, writing, special events, college relations, and recruitment, as well as business and legal affairs.
Among the positives that previous interns at Nickelodeon Animation Studio cited was the opportunity to speak with and learn from all of the accomplished artists, designers, and producers working in the company. They said the overall experience was even better than they could have hoped for. Advice to potential Interns is to make the most of your experience- you get out what you put into this program, and if you make the effort there is no way you will be disappointed
Nickelodeon Animation Studios offers fantastic perks! Interns are encouraged to participate in business skills workshops and “Executive Lunches”. Some of these workshops and classes include: How to write a resume and cover letter, How to Pitch a Show, Portfolio/Reel critique, Post Production, Lunches with The President of Animation and the SVP of Nickelodeon Studio plus many more!
Interns participate in:
- Speaker series
- Executive lunches
- Field trips
- Studio events
- Film festivals
- Studio animation tests.
- Over a third of interns are offered full-time positions with the company within one year of completing their internship.
The Nickelodeon Animation Studio Internship Program
An internship at Nickelodeon can launch you on an exciting, fun-filled career in children’s entertainment. Interns at Nickelodeon are called “Nickterns”. Responsibilities include a large variety of meaningful tasks geared to help you learn more about production, animation, and a wide variety of other duties, and if you get coffee, it will be for yourself!
- Animation Production (2D/CG)
- Post Production
- Animation Development and Current Series
- Casting for Animation
- Human Resources/Recruiting/College Relations
- Business and Legal Affairs (Law Students ONLY)
- Special Events/Facilities
- The Writing/Artist Fellowship
- Nickelodeon’s Internships are paid at a standard competitive hourly rate, so proper work authorization is needed to be employed.
- Interns must be available for a minimum of 10 weeks.
- Interns must be available to work a minimum of two full days per week (no weekends), but some departments may require more than two days. Typical business hours are 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
- Internships are open to college juniors and seniors, though some departments also accept graduate students and law school students. *Upon acceptance, we will require a letter from your school confirming you are a matriculated junior, senior, graduate student or law student.
- College credit is not required, but appropriate documentation will be provided if necessary.
- Please note that they do not offer housing.
How to Apply
Please apply online by visiting www.nickanimationstudio.com or by emailing your resume and cover letter indicating the semester you are applying for and the area(s) of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. (MS Word attachments or PDF only)
Applications are rolling, but deadlines typically run about 2-3 months before the semester of interest begins.
- Summer semester deadline: April 1st
- Fall semester deadline: August 1st
- Spring semester deadline: November 1st