Interview Questions About Why You're Good at Sales
There are many positions available on the job market that fall into the category of sales. Whether your interest lies in agriculture, healthcare, publishing, retail, or just about any other industry you can think of, you will find a variety of positions in sales. In every industry, sales jobs will have some core similarities.
The questions you will be asked during an interview for a job in sales, like “What makes you a good salesperson?” will be used to evaluate your skills and experience in that capacity. However, unlike interviews for other types of jobs, your interview will probably be structured in such a way that you’ll end up demonstrating your sales skills by “hard selling” the talents you would bring to the organization.
Your interviewers won’t just be interested in the answers you provide to their questions. They’ll be looking closely at “how” you answer these queries, seeking the enthusiasm, charisma, body language, and consultative needs assessment ability that define a great salesperson.
How to Prepare for the Question
When preparing for an interview for a sales position, you will need to think about what qualities you possess that make you an excellent salesperson. This will help with your answers to many likely questions, including the standard “What makes you a good salesperson?” You will feel more confident going into your interview when you are well prepared for the types of questions you may be asked.
In addition to reviewing questions, make sure that you research the company as thoroughly as possible. Even smaller firms usually have a website that will give you some information that will be useful during your interview. By Googling the company, you may find press releases and other articles you can mention during the interview to show how interested you are in working for them.
Tie Your Skills to Your Experience
It’s helpful to make a list of the hard and soft skills you possess that have helped you to develop your sales style. These sales skills might include: hard selling, soft selling, consultative sales, negotiation, product pitching, networking, client relationship management, account management, marketing, territory management, cold calling, lead generation, product demonstration, and / or closing.
Use your list to tie those skills to experiences that will highlight what makes you excel in sales. Interviewers like answers that include specific, verifiable information from previous employment or experience.
If you can, provide an anecdote about how you used a certain skill set to make a difficult sale to a particular client.
- I was able to close the sale of 1000 units of our company’s large capacity freezers to Alaska Inc. by using my research skills to examine their present needs, and help them to anticipate how our product would enhance their productivity in the future.
More Sample Answers
- I'm an ambitious person, and that helps me in sales. I really like to make sure that my customers are thoroughly informed, and that I provide the best possible service. I feel like I've done a good job when I have made a sale that required using all my talents.
- I am very detail-oriented, and that helps me in sales in many ways. I make sure that I know everything there is to know about the product I'm selling, so that I can answer any questions a customer may have to their satisfaction. I also like to know my territory in and out, and I like to find out about my customers personally, so I can better serve them.
- I think that my patience helps me be a good salesperson. I find that I have made some of my best sales when I have taken the time to let the customer weigh their decision carefully, ask as many questions as they wished, and not put too much pressure on them.
More Sales Interview Questions
Here are a few of the most common questions you may be asked to answer in an interview for a sales position:
- What makes you a good salesperson? (Sample Answer)
- What motivates you as a salesperson? (Sample Answer)
- What interests you most about this sales position with our company? (Sample Answer)
- Are you comfortable making cold calls? (Sample Answers)
- Have you consistently met your sales goals? (Sample Answers)
- How did you land your most successful sales? (Sample Answers)
- What do you find most rewarding about being in sales? (Sample Answers)
- Sell me this pen (Sample Answers)