Interview Questions to Assess Conflict Resolution Skills
Looking for interview questions for your job candidates that will help you assess their conflict resolution skills? Conflict resolution skills and the ability to disagree with others professionally are necessary for successful contribution in organizations.
They are necessary for healthy interpersonal relationships and in building effective teams. Conflict resolution skills and the willingness to disagree are practices that can help you better serve customers. Disagreement to keep your organization innovating and continuously improving is essential.
Disagreement and conflict resolution rarely occur in an interview setting because every participant is behaving professionally. The goal of the interview is to make a good match, so it’s a challenge to identify your candidate’s strengths in conflict resolution and disagreement.
The following sample interview questions should help you pinpoint your candidate’s strengths and weaknesses in this area.
Conflict Resolution and Disagreement Skills Interview Questions
- Tell me about a time when you disagreed with an idea your coworker wanted to pursue. How did you approach the disagreement?
- Think about a situation in which you disagreed with the direction or idea that your boss suggested. What did you do to professionally disagree? If not, what were your thoughts about the situation?
- When you work with a team or a group, disagreement about direction, decisions, and even mission and vision, are common. Tell us about a time when you handled a disagreement. How did you approach the situation and what was the resolution?
- When you think about your experience with disagreement and conflict resolution, how would you rate your skills in handling differences of opinion? Please give an example that illustrates that skill.
- How comfortable are you, in general, with dealing with differences of opinion and disagreement? Can you provide a work-related example that illustrates your comfort level?
- The leader of a team on which you participate consistently talks more than all of the members of the group. Consequently, his views largely direct the actions of the team. He is smart, wants participation, wants the other members to step up, but no one practices the professional courage necessary to make the team successful. What would you do in this situation?
- Think of a time when you worked with a coworker who would seem to agree with the direction decided by a group. But, for weeks and even months later, the coworker continued to raise objections to the decisions made by the group. How did you address this situation with the coworker? If not, what were you thinking about when you decided not to confront the ongoing problem?
Conflict Resolution and Disagreement Questions for Managers
- As a manager, tell us about a time when you and a reporting employee disagreed about a direction, how you handled a situation, a performance review, or suggestions for improvement. How did you handle the disagreement?
- As a manager, I’m sure you have experienced situations in which employees were in conflict and disagreed with each other on important issues. What is your preferred approach for helping the employee resolve the conflict?
Conflict Resolution Interview Question Answers
How articulate is the candidate about disagreement? How clearly does the candidate communicate what he or she did to manage the conflict or disagreement? Did the candidate effectively address the conflict? Did the candidate avoid, put up with, or too aggressively address the situation? Is the candidate’s conflict resolution style congruent with the norm in your organization? Is the candidate willing to participate in conflict and disagreements? Try to assess whether the individual’s approach to conflict is appropriate and preferred.
Find more information about dealing with conflict and disagreement.
Sample Job Interview Questions for Employers
Use these sample job interview questions when you interview potential employees.
- Job Interview Questions for Employers (With Descriptions)
- Interview Questions to Assess Cultural Fit
- Motivation Job Interview Questions
- Teams and Teamwork Job Interview Questions
- Leadership Job Interview Questions
- Interpersonal Skills Job Interview Questions
- Management and Supervisory Skill Job Interview Questions
- Communication Job Interview Questions
- Empowerment Job Interview Questions
- Planning Job Interview Questions
- Decision-Making Job Interview Questions
- Unusual Job Interview Questions
- Interview Questions That Can Cause Legal Problems