Work at Home As an Intuit Online Tax Advisor
Intuit hires work-at-home tax advisors to support TurboTax
Anyone with extensive tax preparation experience and the necessary credentials may find Intuit's seasonal online tax advisor job an attractive work-from-home position. The financial software giant hires for a variety of remote positions in software engineering, sales, marketing and finance in the U.S. and Canada in support of its Quicken, QuickBooks, TurboTax, Mint and QuickBase products. However, its work-at-home online tax advisor jobs support its Turbotax product exclusively.
Online Tax Advisor Qualifications and Requirements
These tax advisor positions are for certified public accountants, enrolled agents and tax attorneys who support TurboTax products by phone, chat and email and provide written summaries of tax solutions to customers. No upselling is involved. Unlike a typical tax preparer job, these experts give advice but don’t actually do tax preparation.
Full- and part-time, seasonal positions are available. Some seasonal agents are promoted to permanent managerial positions. During tax season, expect 30 to 40 hours per week of work. The season begins with paid training, which consists of training sessions that place from November to January. The season ends in late April. A variety of established schedules that cover the hours of 5 AM to 9 PM PT, 7 days a week are available. However, flexibility to take extra work during peak hours may be required.
Requirements for the online tax advisor position are stringent. They include:
- active credentials as an enrolled agent or CPA and a preparer tax identification number
- a minimum of 5 years of experience preparing federal and state returns
- extensive knowledge of tax laws
- experience using tax preparation software
- excellent verbal and written communication skills
- the ability to work with minimal supervision
- ability to research IRS and state publications, regulations and GAAP publications
Bilingual ability and experience with electronic filing and software troubleshooting are considered a plus.
Advisors need a distraction-free space with a computer and phone and should be willing to commit to work 30 to 40 hours a week. Intuit has a made a point to promote these positions as possible military spouse jobs.
Related Position: Seasonal Tax Support Specialists
Intuit also hires tax support specialists—not advisors—for work-at-home call center positions. They provide software support and answer tax questions via phone and video. However, specialists are not required to be CPAs or enrolled agents—only to have "basic knowledge of tax laws and tax concepts." While these jobs can be remote, there are state residency requirements. Desirable traits for this position include:
- a background in business, finance, accounting or tax
- some experience preparing federal and state returns for individuals
- some experience providing support in a call center environment is a plus (work-at-home or on-site)
- internship with a tax preparation firm a plus
- critical thinking, problem-solving
- persistence and determination
Tax advisor jobs are employment positions—not independent contractors—with benefits such as medical, dental and 401K, as well as product discounts.
Applying for Intuit Jobs
Use the "Search Jobs" link at the Intuit website to find positions. Search the keyword “remote” to find all the telecommuting jobs including the online tax advisor positions. If the position you seek is closed, Intuit encourages you to apply and set up a notifier for when the position becomes available again. Typically Turbotax hires in the early fall for these seasonal remote positions.