Law School Student Resume Example
The following is an example of a resume for a current law student. This resume includes the student’s academic accomplishments as well as his professional achievements. The job seeker also mentions some personal interests that might help him stand out to a law firm, such as his knowledge of Spanish and his debate awards.
Tips for Writing an Entry-level Law Resume
Resumes and cover letters submitted for entry-level attorney positions are unique in that they are generally far more conservative and concise than resumes for most other professions. Whereas it is typically a good strategy in other career fields (where companies often use online job application and applicant tracking systems) to load a resume with keyword phrases, many law firms will immediately screen out resumes that are verbose, repetitive or provide too much non-related personal information.
- Less is more. As a graduating law student, you should stick to a single-page resume – typically the standard even for experienced lawyers. Remember that attorneys are trained to read critically and to pinpoint and challenge ambiguous or superfluous details. Don’t open yourself up to immediate criticism by “padding” your resume with unrelated information – things like descriptions of non-legal jobs you have held or the awesome things you achieved as an undergraduate.
- Avoid providing too much personal information. Because of the conservatism of their profession, attorneys are expected to be as “objective” and low-profile as public school teachers are, avoiding controversial associations at all costs. For this reason, dodge the temptation to provide links on your resume to a personal blog or social media pages (with the exception of LinkedIn), or to offer personal details like your race, gender preferences, political leanings, or religious beliefs. While it’s a good idea to provide an “Other Interests and Activities” section at the end of your resume to demonstrate that you are a well-rounded and versatile individual, these “interests” need to be those which would contribute directly to your being an outstanding lawyer. Do not include activities like extensive political activism or travel that might distract you from your work obligations at a law firm.
- Use a conservative font and resume formatting. Good fonts to use for your resume include Times New Roman, Courier New, or Verdana.
- Use a narrative-only format for your cover letter. Cover letters for other professions will often include a bulleted section where professional achievements and qualifications can be showcased. Law firms, however, only want to see narrative text in cover letters, since this gives them a better idea of how well their job candidate can communicate in writing. Again, err on the side of conservatism here – write in complete sentences, avoiding comma splices and sentence fragments, and meticulously proofread the text of both your resume and cover letter to catch and correct spelling and grammatical errors.
Law School Student Resume Example
This is an example of a resume for a law school student. Download the law school student resume template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples.
Law School Student Resume Example (Text Version)
123 Main Street, New York, NY 00000
Law school graduate looking to apply knowledge of laws, legal codes, and court proceedings and precedents to an attorney position.
- Four-time 4A State Police Debate State Champion (2015-2018).
- Two-time National Tournament Qualifier, 4A State Police Debate (2016, 2018).
- Outstanding Performance in Oral Advocacy Award, Spring 2017
U.S. COURT OF APPEALS, NINTH CIRCUIT, San Francisco, CA
Extern to Honorable Judge Johnson, September 2018-November 2018
Externship comprised of researching and writing bench memos.
- Drafted opinions and orders.
THOMAS & SMITH, P.A., Phoenix, AZ
Summer Associate, June 2018-August 2018
Worked extensively on commercial, criminal defense, and pro bono matters.
- Assisted with pro bono constitutional standards for conditions of confinement research
- Assisted with arbitration over LLC dispute, fiduciary duties, and non-compete agreement.
OFFICE OF STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL, Executive Office, Phoenix, AZ
Special Projects Assistant, November 2016-January 2016
Coordinated community services program.
- Oversaw elder affairs hotline, internship program, and participated with the Executive Office.
Juris Doctor (2018); GPA 3.675
XYZ University College of Law, Springfield, California
Dean’s List, Fall 2017, Spring 2018
Bachelor of Arts in American Government (2016); GPA 3.8
ABC University, Los Angeles, California
Honors, May 2016
More Resume Examples
Review more professionally written resume examples for jobs, internships, gigs, volunteering, and other positions.