Librarian Cover Letter and Resume Examples
When you write your cover letter, it should include your most relevant experience and education. Take the time to match your qualifications to the job, so your credentials are as close a match as possible to what the employer is seeking in an ideal candidate.
Your resume should include your previous work experience, education, skills, and any certifications you may have received. In both the "profile" and "skills" sections of your resume, highlight your computer and research skills, as they are both extremely valuable skills to have in this position.
Use these samples as a guide to help you get started.
Librarian Cover Letter Example
Your City, State Zip Code
Your Phone Number
City, State Zip Code
Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name,
I read with great interest your posting for a chief librarian at ABC Academy as listed on privateschooljobs.com. I know that my years of experience as an academic librarian and my success developing forward-thinking library projects make me an ideal candidate for this position.
I have over ten years of experience working as an academic librarian. In my years of experience, I have developed various techniques for best explaining and instilling research skills in students. I have even developed and taught a well-received research course for first-year college students, which would translate well into an upper-level high-school course.
You state in your listing that you want a chief librarian who can adapt the library to today’s technology-driven culture. I am very comfortable with implementing e-technology in a library setting. I even helped develop a streamlined library website at 123 Community College, which allowed students to more easily access the college’s online resources. I would love the opportunity to develop similar tools for ABC Academy’s library.
I am confident that my extensive experience makes me a strong candidate for chief librarian at ABC Academy. I have enclosed my resume and other required materials for your review. I look forward to speaking with you further about what I may offer your school. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
Your Signature (hard copy letter)
Librarian Resume Example
123 Oakwood Ave
Oak Park, IL, 60302
Librarian with nearly ten years of secondary and university experience. Specialized in developing research tools and courses to strengthen students’ research abilities. Skilled in translating library services and policies into tangible, comprehensible resources for students. Award-winning abilities in display development and implementation.
Reference Librarian, 123 Community College, Oak Park, IL
July 20XX – present
- Initiated and co-developed new online catalog to promote efficient student and faculty research
- Develop instructional materials on research methods in various formats (web, multimedia, print)
- Write and publish library blog and maintain social media pages
- Develop and teach research course for students across majors; received a college award for the best new course of 20XX.
Assistant Librarian, Oak Park High School, Oak Park, IL
August 20XX – June 20XX
- Developed and co-taught course on research methods for freshmen
- Consulted with colleagues and teachers to develop and construct monthly displays on various academic topics, such as playwrights, African American history, and the Revolutionary War
- Spearheaded project streamlining former magazine subscriptions and selecting new subscriptions that best fit the current needs of the teachers and students, saving the library $1,0000 annually.
- Cataloged hundreds of new acquisitions, maintaining accurate data on materials
Library Graduate Intern, XYZ University Theology Library, Chicago, IL
Sept. 20XX – July 20XX
- Developed skills in reference, periodical, and special collections through supervised rotations
- Oversaw daily patron services and assisted patrons with research questions
- Created four displays that emphasized the diversity of the library’s collections, receiving an award for excellence in research for one display.
Master of Library Science, XYZ University, Chicago, IL
Bachelor of Arts, ABC College, Chicago, IL
- Computer Applications: Mac, PC, Word, Excel, GoogleDocs, RefWorks, SPSS
- Web Publishing: HTML, Dreamweaver, WordPress, Wikis
- Instructional Tools: Blackboard, Turnitin, D2L
How to Email Your Resume and Cover Letter
If you're sending your resume and cover letter via email, list your name and the job title in the subject line of the email message:
Subject: Librarian Position - Your Name
Include your contact information in your email signature, and don't list the employer contact information. Start your email message with the salutation.