Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions
MOS 2673 -- Asia-Pacific Cryptologic Linguist
Type of MOS : PMOS
Rank Range: GySgt to Pvt
Job Description: Cryptologic linguists monitor, transcribe, and translate intercepted target communications; perform analysis and exploitation of designated foreign communications; and install, operate, and perform preventive maintenance of intercept equipment. Following basic qualification as a linguist (2733-2747), Marines attend a specialized course of instruction and upon completion are assigned the appropriate MOS. Secondary duties and tasks include aspects of EW/COMSEC and direction-finding operations.
In addition, Marines assigned MOS 2673 receive MOJT in such MOS-related requirements as power supply operation, equipment prime mover (truck) operation, and vehicle maintenance procedures. Intermediate and advanced language training is available. Prior to, or in conjunction with being promoted to staff sergeant, Marines will receive Traffic Analysis Training (formal school or MOJT). DoD has stated a career goal for professional linguist of achieving interagency Language Roundtable "General Professional Proficiency" (Level-3) in those modalities (listening, reading and, or speaking required to perform his or her primary function.
Cryptologic Linguists are encouraged to take advantage of language training events in order to achieve this goal. Prior to advancement to master sergeant (MOS 2691 ), opportunities are provided for linguists to attend supervisory-level courses in preparation for management/leadership assignments. This MOS will be assigned and voided only by the authority of the CMC (MM).
(1) Must possess a GT score of 105 or higher.
(2) A Defense Language Aptitude Battery minimum score for the MOS 2673 is required as follows: DLAB 110 or higher, waiverable to 100.
(3) Complete the requirements for assignment of an MOS 2733-2747 and the Voice Processing Specialist Course.
(4) Must be a graduate of the prescribed cryptologic technical course and maintain a minimum proficiency of L2/R2 on the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT), in accordance with MCO 7220.52.
(6) Must have no speech or hearing defects.
(7) Must be a U.S. citizen.
Duties: For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to MCO 3500.41, Signals Intelligence Training and Readiness Manual.
Related Department of Labor Occupation Codes :
(1) Interpreter 137.267-010.
(2) Radio-Intelligence Operator 193.362-014.
Related Marine Corps Jobs:
(1) Signals Intelligence Analyst, 2629.
(2) Cryptanalyst, 2649.
Above information derived from MCBUL 1200, parts 2 and 3