Sample Resume for a Marketing and Writing Professional
Show potential employers you can market yourself
If you are a marketing professional, your resume needs to “sell” your expertise and track record to potential employers, just like any other piece of marketing material. Think of it this way: In order to convince a potential employer that you can market their products or services, you first have to show them that you at least can market yourself.
Keep in mind that there is a heavy emphasis on business writing and editing in many marketing roles, so you need to highlight these skills through your experiences and by writing and designing a well-crafted resume.
Sample Marketing and Writing Resume
This sample begins with a summary that emphasizes the job seeker’s skills and successes, using numbers to quantitatively demonstrate achievement. While this sample has all the basic sections such as education, employment, and technical skills, you should view the summary overview section as your opportunity to underscore what is unique about your background and skills that set you apart from the competition:
Jane R. Doe
910 Oak Street, Verona, CA 12111
555-550-1111 or 555-111-1111
I am a marketing professional with a proven track record of exemplary writing and editing experience, both online and in print. Skilled in writing creative copy for catalogs and brochures, newsletter articles, blogs, and a variety of business materials, I also possess award-winning infographic and web layout skills and am comfortable learning new forms of digital and IT graphics. I successfully reduced my current employer's print marketing expenses by more than 12 percent while continuing to produce high-quality print and online materials.
Ellis College of New York Institute of Technology
B.A., English–Professional Writing
Graduated May 20XX
American InterContinental University
A.A., Business Administration
Graduated April 20XX, with honors
Science Marketing Writer, Verona, CA
- Write, develop, edit, and maintain all sales and marketing materials, as well as all technical documentation.
- Co-develop layouts and all graphics for digital content.
- Responsible for hiring, training, and managing five interns annually in the company's award-winning internship program.
Technical Writer, XYZ Solutions, Verona, CA
August 20XX-May 20XX
- Developed articles, blog posts, how-tos, presentations, and white papers for an international company specializing in SaaS applications.
- Collaborated with colleagues and employers across multiple departments (including the Executive Team, Product Development Team, and the Customer Solutions Department) in order to develop a unified voice for the brand across multiple channels and media.
- Designed detailed and engaging infographics for the company website, which resulted in a 10 percent increase in web traffic.
Content Writer, ABC Marketing Company, Palo Alto, CA
October 20XX – July 20XX
- Researched and wrote web content for nearly a dozen client websites whose industries ranged from law to medicine to e-commerce.
- Created persuasive content for seven client websites, improving their combined online advertising revenues by 17 percent.
- Utilized SEO to maximize online website traffic by nearly 20 percent over a two-year period.
Proficient in MS Project, Excel, Word, Applix Word, Graphics, Spreadsheet, Powerpoint, FrameMaker, Lotus Notes, Dreamweaver, Infogram, and Piktochart. Also familiar with HTML and SQL database queries.