Military Do-it-Yourself (DITY) Moves

The Personally Procured Move Program

Military Do-it-Yourself (DITY) Moves
••• The U.S. Army/Flickr

Normally, when a person in the military makes a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move, the government hires a commercial contractor to pack and move their household goods (HHG). The military will move, free of charge, HHG, up to the member's authorized weight limit (which depends on rank and whether or not the member has dependents).

However, if the member does not wish to use a military contractor to move their personal property, there is an alterative. The Personally Procured Move Program (formerly Do-it-Yourself [DITY] Move) is designed to provide the military member an alternative to move their household goods on their own. Members may move their personal property themselves, using rental equipment, their own vehicle, or by hiring their own commercial carrier.

Under this program military members can receive reimbursement up to 100% of the Government Constructive Cost (GCC), if they hire their own carrier, or an incentive payment of 95% of the GCC, if they move the property on their own. An advance operating allowance can be authorized to defray out of pocket moving expense (rental equipment, HHG mover charges, packing material, etc.).

The Government Constructed Cost (GCC) is defined as the amount it would have cost the government to move the member's personal property during a government procured move up to but not exceeding the member's authorized weight allowance. During a member's initial property counseling at the military Personal Property Office, an estimate is made of their actual property weight. It's important that this weight be as accurate as possible. Over-estimating may result in a lower reimbursement or incentive payment.

Individual situations may vary widely so prior to making a personally procured move it is recommended that the military member be counseled and get approval by the base personal property office. Failure to get approval from the personal property office MAY result in non-payment of the reimbursement claim or incentive payment. Contact your local Personal Property Office to help you determine the most cost-effective method of moving your household goods.

NOTE: Personally procured moves to overseas areas are not recommended. It's almost impossible to move your property to an overseas location for what the government pays contractors to do.

Participation in the Personally Procured Move Program is voluntary. Military members may chose a Personally Procured Move, a Government Move, or a combination of the two methods, subject to entitlement limitations.



The personally procured move program offers the following options:

Privately Owned Vehicle (POV): A privately owned vehicle can be used to effect your move. If you use a travel trailer or motor home, contact your Personal Property Shipping Office for special guidance. Note: Empty and full certified weight tickets are required.

Rental Vehicle: You procure the rental equipment and the accessories yourself and perform all the labor. Sources of rental equipment must be bona-fide rental vendors such as RYDER, U-HAUL, etc. Note: Empty and full certified weight tickets are required.

Commercial: You contract directly with commercial carriers vice rental contractors. Incentives for this type of move are authorized under public law, and will be calculated on the same basis as a PERSONALLY PROCURED MOVE by rental vehicle or POV. Note: Empty and full certified weight tickets are required.

Coordinating Instructions

*Vehicles must be weighed empty AND full.

*Trucks, Motor Homes (contact Personal Property Office for additional information) and POV: Driver and all passengers must be out of vehicle and gas tank must be full each time vehicle is weighed. You MUST make every effort to weigh the vehicle at one time, either on a large platform scale or on two or more smaller scales. Be sure you have your vehicle weighed at a "CERTIFIED" weigh station. You can usually find them at truck stops along major highways. State operated weigh stations along interstates usually can not issue certified weight tickets.

Note: Any POV in tow must be disconnected prior to weighing.

*Utility Trailers and Travel Trailers (contact Personal Property Office for additional information): Driver and all passengers must be out of trailer. Rear seats, truck and car top carriers must be empty and gas tank must be full to obtain empty weight. The towing vehicle and trailer must be weighed as a complete unit at one time on a large platform scale or on two smaller scales. Axle weights are acceptable.

*Weight Ticket Identification: To ensure proper identification of the weight tickets and subsequent payment of your incentive allowance, it is essential that the following information be included on each weight ticket obtained:

  • Imprint or official stamp with name and location of Weigh Station
  • Signature and title of official certifying the weighing
  • Legible imprint of the weight and date recorded.
  • Your name, rank, and social security number.
  • Identification of vehicle weighed. You should retain a copy of each weight ticket for your personal records.


The Government is not liable for any loss or damages that occur during a personally procured move. Since you perform all of the packing and transportation by yourself or with the assistance of a contracted carrier, any loss or damage is presumed to be the result of your or your agent's improper packing or handling. Therefore, as a general rule, if you choose to do a personally procured move, the military claims office will not pay a claim for loss or damage.

If you elect to move yourself or personally procure commercial moving services, you should contract for the shipment of your goods with a liability limit of at least $1.25 times the net weight of the shipment. You should also seriously consider purchasing commercial insurance coverage, either through the moving company or through a commercial insurance company to protect yourself from financial loss.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have or purchase the proper insurance to cover all rental equipment, your POV, and your household goods. When using a commercial HHG carrier you should ensure the carrier provides insurance on your HHG in accordance with local and state laws.

You may be held personally responsible if you have inadequate insurance coverage to satisfy all damage and third party claims or lawsuits resulting from an accident. Additional insurance, if required, must be procured by you, the member, and is not reimbursable by the Government. If you are involved in an accident while driving a rental vehicle, you may be required to pay.

You should consider purchasing insurance deductible waivers (at personal expense) from the rental company as well as reviewing your own automobile and personal property insurance coverage.


You should have a residence available for delivery of the goods at destination within the period specified for the move. If storage is required at destination, you SHOULD consider doing a Government move.

Temporary storage (up to 90 days) incidental to a personally procured moved is authorized at Government expense. However, reimbursement will be based on the Government's cost to store a like amount of weight and will not include an incentive payment.

If you must procure storage, you should use a bona-fide commercial storage facility (to include a mini-storage facility) and submit a claim for reimbursement for personally procured storage. This will be submitted on a DD Form 1351-2 to the Personal Property Office.

Claims for loss or damage to your household goods while in storage are not payable by the military claims offices. Make sure you purchase insurance to cover your goods while in storage.



Once you have reached your destination, you must submit a claim for the balance of your reimbursement or incentive to the Personal Property Office on your new base, within 45 days of your move date. Claim should consist of the DD Form 2278, DD Form 1351-2, certified weight tickets (empty and full), and complete set of orders. Your reimbursement will be equal to 100% of the GCC or your incentive will be equal to 95% of the GCC, depending on which option you chose to use.

Note: Reimbursement for a personally procured move is only for moving expenses and is entirely separate from personal travel, pay and allowances. Additionally, expenses for food and lodging should not be included in your personally procured move claim, however fuel, tolls, packing material and the cost of certified weight tickets are reimbursable.


Definition of Household Goods

HHG do include: Items associated with the home and all personal effects belonging to a member and dependents on the effective date of the member's PCS or TDY order that legally may be accepted and transported by an authorized commercial transporter. HHG also include: professional books, papers, and equipment (PBP&E), spare POV parts and a pickup tailgate when removed, integral or attached vehicle parts that must be removed due to their high vulnerability to pilferage or damage (e.g., seats, tops, winch, spare tires, portable auxiliary gasoline can(s), and miscellaneous associated hardware, vehicles other than POVs (such as golf carts, motorcycles, mopeds, jet skis, hang gliders, snowmobiles, and their associated trailers, boats and single occupant ultralight vehicles for recreation or sport purposes (weighing less than 155 pounds if unpowered or less than 254 pounds if powered, having a fuel capacity not to exceed 5 gallons, airspeed not to exceed 55 knots, and power-off stall speed not to exceed 24 knots).

HHG do not include: Personal baggage when carried free on an airplane, bus or train; automobiles, trucks, vans and similar motor vehicles; airplanes; mobile homes; camper trailers; and farming vehicles; live animals including birds, fish and reptiles; cordwood and building materials; items for resale, disposal or commercial use rather than for use by the member and dependents; privately owned live ammunition; articles that otherwise would qualify as HHG but are acquired after the effective date of PCS orders except bona fide replacements for articles that have become inadequate, worn out, broken, or unserviceable on/after the effective date of orders.