NECs for Navy Operations Specialist – OS
The operations specialist (OS) works with shipboard navigation and warfare operations. Part of their duties includes maintaining the Combat Information Center (CIC) and the Combat Direction Center (CDC).
The rating became available in 1971 with the deletion of the original radarman rating—developed in 1943. The Navy occupational code (NOS) for the position is B440 and will require schooling past the basic training level.
Duties of an OS – NOS-B440
Controls and supervises the control of aircraft in tactical operations. Operates and supervises the operation of radar, NTDS, communications and associated equipment in the exercise of air control functions. Participates in search and rescue and aircraft emergency operations. Ensures correct positioning of aircraft in specified areas, air corridors, and approach or departure tunnels.
Understand the Navy NEC Code System
The Navy Enlisted Classification (NEC) system supplements—or extends—the enlisted rating structure in identifying personnel on active or inactive duty that possesses specialized skills and training. These codes are also important for the assignments of billets in manpower authorizations. NEC codes identify a non-rating wide skill, knowledge, aptitude, or qualifications.
All service members have a job designation known as a rating. The NEC simply extends that rating by identifying other skills.
For example, one of the NECs available to a Navy police officer—known as a Master at Arms (MA)—is the MA-2500. This signifies that the individual has received the specialized training to act in the capacity of a K-9 Dog Handler. The sailer can now be assigned to bases or duties within the law enforcement rating that include the use of military working dogs.
Qualification, requalification, and maintenance proficiency requirements for AIC, ASAC, AICS, ATACO, USTAC and ASTACSUP personnel are set forth in OPNAVINST 1211.2 Series. Personnel who fail to maintain qualification through prescribed proficiency requirements are no longer eligible to retain the NEC. An NAVPERS 1221/6 will be submitted PERS-4013D2 for NEC removal. This NEC removal requirement is waived for a period of 36 months for those personnel who were previously qualified but subsequently transferred to shore duty. Personnel who requalify through formal training will have reestablished their qualification and award of the NEC.
Additional NECs for the Operations Specialist Rating
The following list of Navy Enlisted Classifications can be applied to the operations specialist rating as well as to many other specialties. Each NEC may require additional training and the demonstration of additional skills
- 0302 - AN/SYS-2 Integrated Automatic Detection and Tracking (IADT) Systems Operator (Applies to OS)
- 0304 - LCAC Radar Operator/Navigator (Applies to OS, ET, QM, AWO)
- 0318-0324 - Radar Air Controller
- 0318 - Air Intercept Controller (AIC) (Applies to OS)
- 0319 - Supervisory Air Intercept Controller (Applies to OS)
- 0324 - USW/SUW Tactical Air Controller ( USTAC) (Applies to OS)
- 0326 - Operations Systems Specialist (Applies to OS)
- 0327 - Sea Combat Air Controller (SCAC) (Applies to OS)
- 0328 - USW/SUW Tactical Air Control ( USTAC) Leadership (Applies to OS)
- 0332 - TOMAHAWK Weapon System (Surface) Operator- NEC Code Deleted (Recode Billets & Personnel to 0000)
- 0334 - HARPOON (AN/SWG-1A) Engagement Planning Operator (Applies to OS, FC)
- 0336 - Tactical/Mobile (TacMobile) Operations Control (OPCON) Operator (Applies to OS, IS)
- 0340 - Global Command and Control System Common Operational Picture/Maritime 4.X (GCCS COP/M 4.X) Operator (Applies to MN, OS, STG AWO, CTR, CTT, FC, IS, QM)
- 0342 - Global Command and Control System Common Operational Picture/Maritime (GCCS COP/M) Operator (Applies to MN, OS, STG, AW, AWO, AWR, AWV, CTI, CTM, CTR, CTT, FC, FT, IS, IT, STS )
- 0345 - Joint Tactical Ground Station (JTAGS)/Multi-Mission Mobile Processor (M3P) System Operator/Maintainer (Applies to OS, IS, ET, CTT)
- 0346 - AEGIS Console Operator Track 3 (Applies to OS)
- 0347 - Ship Self Defense System (SSDS) MK1 Operator (Applies to OS, FC)
- 0348 - Multi-Tactical Digital Information Link Operator (TADIL) (Applies to OS)
- 0349 - SSDS MK 2 Advanced Operator (Applies to OS, CTT)
- 0350 - Interface Control Officer (ICO) (Applies to OS)
- 0356 - Global Command and Control System-Maritime (4.1) Increment 2 (GCCS-M 4.1 Inc 2) Operator (Applies to CTT, FC, IS, MN, OS, STG)