When a colleague or business associate lands a new job or gets a promotion, it is important to acknowledge this milestone by sending a note wishing them continued success.
It's a nice gesture you'd appreciate if you were changing jobs, and you never know when a former employee or colleague may be a colleague or client again in the future. It's also a good way to stay connected with former coworkers and business contacts.
When to Say Congratulations
Getting in the habit of writing congratulations letters and sending your business associates off with best wishes will set the right tone for when you cross paths again.
It's always a good idea to say congratulations to someone who has accepted a new job, been promoted, is retiring, or otherwise making a career move.
How to Say Congratulations
There are a few appropriate ways to send your letter.
The most old-fashioned (and often most appreciated) method is to take the time to handwrite your note of congratulations and post it through traditional “snail mail” or to slip it into your colleague’s physical mail cubby at work (if they have one).
Email or LinkedIn Message
It’s also fine to send a congratulatory email or even a well-crafted note via LinkedIn (if you and they communicate through this social media regularly).
Congratulation Letter & Email Examples
Here are examples of a congratulations note you can send to someone who has found a new job.
New Job Congratulations Note Example
Congratulations on your new position with the Sunshine Agency. I'm sure you will be an asset to their staff, with your years of experience and organizational skills, not to mention your easygoing personality.
You will be greatly missed here, but I speak for the whole team in wishing you all the best in your new endeavor!
New Job Congratulations Email Example
Subject Line: Way to Go! (Congrats from Your Name)
I don’t know whether it was with more joy or sadness that I learned the news that you’ll be moving on to Jones, Able, and Jellico. I’m really proud of you for getting hired for your “dream job,” but we will miss you around here!
My congratulations are heartfelt – please keep in touch and let us know how you’re enjoying the challenges of your new position.
Sample Sentences Saying Congratulations
It's always a good idea to personalize your email or note. Here are some sample sentences that you can draw on to craft a letter of congratulations:
- I heard you got the job you've always wanted. Cheers to your continued success!
- This position was truly made for you. Congratulations on finding such a perfect opportunity.
- I'm so thrilled to hear you got your dream job. I would love to celebrate the occasion with you!
- Your new company made the right choice in hiring someone like you. You deserve all the rewards to come.
- Congratulations on your new endeavor! I'm so thrilled that you'll be working on something you're passionate about.
- Your talent will truly be appreciated in this new role. They're lucky to have you!
- It was a pleasure and an honor working with you. Your new role is well deserved, and I wish you success in your new job.
- I know you've waited a long time to find this job, and it's inspiring to see you fulfill your dream.
- You are a force to be reckoned with in this field, and I'm so proud to know you and to have worked with you.
- Our loss is ABC Company’s gain. We will miss you enormously around here, but it will be exciting to hear about your new adventures.
- You are indeed the best person for your new job. Kudos to you for reaching this wonderful milestone.
- You are proof that dedication and determination go a long way. You inspire me!
- While we'll miss your valuable contributions and dedication, I am so glad you got a new job that excites you.
- Your new job is a perfect match for you. I wish you continued success.
More Congratulation Examples
Here are more examples of congratulations letters and emails for people who are moving on from a job.