No Notice Resignation Letter Example and Writing Tips
When you resign from a position, the normal practice is to give two weeks' notice to your employer. This gives you some time to wrap up any projects and allows your employer time to plan for your replacement. However, while you should make every effort to notify your supervisor of your resignation as soon as possible, sometimes circumstances require that you leave immediately.
What's the best way to resign without providing your employer with advance notice? How should you handle what could be a difficult situation when you need to resign right away or if you need to give a shorter notice than the standard two weeks most employers expect? Before making any decisions, review this information on whether you should or shouldn't quit without notice.
Once you decide to leave without notice, use this resignation letter example to inform your employer that you need to resign immediately, and will not be able to give two weeks' notice. Also, read below for tips on writing a resignation letter or email without notice.
Tips for Writing a Resignation Letter Without Notice
Here are some tips on how to write a letter resigning from your job without notice.
- Speak to Your Employer First. If possible, tell your boss in person that you will be leaving the company. Then, follow up with an official business letter. Send or email a copy of the letter to your manager and to the human resources department.
- State The Date. In the letter, include the date you plan to leave the company. If you can stay for a week or so, say so. However, if you have to leave immediately, state this clearly at the beginning of your letter.
- Don’t Go into Details. You do not need to give details on why you are leaving, or what you will be doing next. You want to keep your letter brief.
- Express Gratitude. This is a good opportunity to express your gratitude for the time you have worked at the company. However, if you are very unhappy with the company, do not complain or say anything negative in your letter. You want to maintain a good relationship with the employer, especially since you might have to ask him or her for a letter of reference in the future.
- Ask Any Questions. If you resign without notice, be sure to clarify how your last paycheck, benefits, company equipment, and any other details regarding the termination of your employment should be handled. Your letter is a good opportunity to ask these questions.
- Provide Contact Information. List any non-company email address, phone number, or another form of contact information that you want to include so that your employer can get in touch with you. This is especially important if you are leaving right away.
- Follow Business Letter Format. Use the official business letter format when writing your letter. If time is of the essence, you might consider sending a resignation email instead of a letter.
Resignation With No Notice Letter Example
You can use this no notice resignation sample as a model. Download the template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online), or read the text version below.
Resignation With No Notice Letter Example (Text Version)
Your City, State Zip Code
Your Phone Number
City, State Zip Code
Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name:
Please accept this letter as notification that I am resigning from my position with ABCD Company on September 15. I apologize for not being able to provide two weeks' notice. I regret that, due to circumstances beyond my control, I need to resign immediately.
Please let me know what the process will be for receiving my last paycheck and remaining benefits. I am happy to collect the paycheck through Human Resources, or you could have them mail it to my home address.
Thank so much for the support that you have provided me during my tenure with the company. I greatly appreciate your years of guidance.
Handwritten Signature (hard copy letter)
Your Typed Name
No Notice Email Message Example (Text Version)
Subject: Your Name - Resignation
Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name,
I regret to inform you that I am resigning from my position of customer service representative for Embassy International, effective Tuesday, August 14. I apologize for not being able to give a full two weeks' notice, but it will be necessary for me to leave before then. I will do my best to get as much of my work done in the meantime so the next employee will have a smooth transition.
Thank you so much for the time I’ve spent at this job. Embassy International continues to be an excellent and supportive company, and I will miss working here very much.
Your Typed Name
Your Phone Number
Sending an Email Resignation Message
If you’re emailing your letter, here's how to send your email message including what to include, proofing, double checking that you have all the information you need, and sending a test message.
List your name and the fact that you're leaving in the subject line: Your Name - Resignation. Include your contact information (email, phone, and mailing address) in your signature under your typed name instead of in the heading of the letter.