Nordstrom's Retail Management Internship Program
A Fantastic Program for Students Interested in Retail Careers
Nordstrom is one of today's leading fashion specialty retailers. It was founded in 1901 in Seattle as a shoe store. As of 2015, Nordstrom operates 347 stores located in 31 states and Canada, 123 Retail Stores, plus 215 Nordstrom Racks, two Jeffrey boutiques, and two clearance stores. Also, Nordstrom has additional outlets through its' online presence and through its catalogs. Nordstrom's is in direct competition with other luxury retailers including Bloomingdale's, Lord & Taylor's, Neiman Marcus, and Saks Fifth Avenue just to name a few.
To learn more about the background of Nordstrom's Internship Program, please view this interview with Nordstrom's Northeast Regional Recruiter, Maureen Tryon.
Some Tips from Maureen:
"Our internships have been a great program for us. We enjoy finding interested students who excel in their performance and see Nordstrom’s as home. Our internship program runs June through August, and each year our successful interns make up a large number of our new hires."
Nordstrom's has been named under Fortune Magazine’s "100 Best Companies to Work For®." Additionally, Nordstrom's Internship Program has been rated as one of the Top 5 Programs in the country by Glassdoor.com and received a 3 1/2 Star Rating out of 5 in a poll of 1,307 past interns. One of the reasons Nordstrom's ranks so highly as one of the top "100 Best Companies to Work For" is because of its commitment to its people to help empower them and to make their success in the company based on their own efforts.
The Internship Experience:
- Interns will be mentored and will learn from highly experienced and dedicated professionals who portray all that Nordstrom's is about.
- Nordstrom's Summer Internship Program is open to college juniors and seniors who possess a passion for a career in retail.
- Interns will participate in nine to 10 weeks of hands-on, meaningful work experience.
- Interns will fully participate in all program activities which will include several significant events.
- Interns will gain hands-on experience by selling and serving customers.
- Interns will get exposure to many aspects of Nordstrom's business while meeting key leaders in the company.
- Interns will get exposure to a wide range of management responsibilities.
- Interns will have an opportunity to gain first-hand insight into Nordstrom's culture which will prepare them to consider Nordstrom's as a potential career after graduation.
- Nordstrom's seeks applicants possessing a real passion for the retail industry.
- High-achieving applicants.
- Applicants who are strong team players who will work with other team members to get the work done.
- Candidates must check each individual listing to find out exact requirements for each position.
Retail Management Development Internship Program:
The Nordstrom Retail Management Development Internship Program allows students to learn the retail business in one of the most important jobs in the company - sales. Interns will spend time on the selling floor in a specific merchandise area, work with many levels of management, and gain exposure to different areas of the retail business. They will also work closely with department managers and other interns on assigned projects and attend management meetings and training seminars.
Many locations are available. As of 2015, internships are available in Anchorage, Alaska; Bloomington, Minnesota; Overland Park, Kansas; Farmington, Connecticut; Aventura, Florida; Austin, Texas; Coral Gables, Florida; Miami, Florida; Palo Alto, California; White Plains, New York; Paramus, New Jersey; Burlington, Massachusetts; Novi, Michigan; Troy, Michigan; Brea, California; Walnut Creek, California; Pleasanton, California; Portland, Oregon; Tacoma, Washington.
An internship at Nordstrom's allows students to explore the retail industry and learn more about the various aspects of running a major retail business. Internships focus on store management, product design & development, and buying, giving students a wide choice of experiences in which to explore. Internships offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, vision and dental coverage, a fabulous merchandise discount, an employer-matched 401(k) plan and much more.
To learn more about internships and careers with Nordstrom's, you can visit their website and enter in your criteria.