Online Tutor Jobs
Find online tutor jobs that match your skills
Working as an "online tutor" can mean a number of different things. Many online tutoring positions require teaching certification and experience in a classroom, but some positions only ask for a four-year degree and knowledge of the subject matter, and a few don’t even require a college degree.
Whether employment or contractor work, most are part-time. Pay structures vary. Some pay online tutors by the hour, but a few companies only offer a platform to connect students with a tutor and then collect a percentage of the fees earned by the tutor.
Additionally, an online tutor may work with students in positions in K-12 through college and adult education.
- Online Tutoring Subjects: Math, English, science, TOEFL, AP classes, test prep (GED, PSAT, SAT, GRE, GMAT), and more
- Level: Elementary school to college.
The part-time tutors at this company use Skype to teach students from around the globe. Applicants must have teaching experience and a college degree in the subject taught are required.
- Online Tutoring Subjects: Reading, math, foreign language, social studies, speech pathology, arts, music, physical education, special education
- Level: K-12
This virtual educational institution works with school districts in several states to serve students remotely. It hires certified teachers who are responsible for instruction, testing and grading with their students. Not all teaching positions are home-based, and not all home-based positions are listed in the database under “home-based.” Some are associated with a specific city.
- Online Tutoring Subjects: Biology, chemistry, economics, electronics, engineering, English, history, law math, physics and programming statistics
- Level: High school and college
Homework help and online courses are among the types of work for tutors at this company. Online instructors use webcams and chat programs to deliver lessons.
- Online Tutoring Subjects: Math, humanities, science, languages, programming
This company makes an online platform available that connects tutors with students. Tutors have graduated from or be enrolled in a four-year university. They are paid $20/hour weekly via PayPal. You must sign up through Facebook.
- Online Tutoring Subjects: Reading, writing, music, science, foreign language and more
- Level: Grades 2 to 12
Home-based instructors critique student writing, make assignments and compose progress reports and evaluations for students. Requirements include a bachelor's degree in an appropriate field and at least one year of teaching experience. Search CTY or "work at home" in JHU Jobs database.
- Online Tutoring Subjects: Science, social studies, technology, math, writing, language
- Level: High school and college
Online tutors work with students of varying abilities and ages. Most have at least a master’s degree and are paid on an hourly basis. Tutors may work from anywhere in the world as long as they have a computer and Internet access (and a U.S. bank account). Peak season for hiring is May through August and November–December every year. Part-time (9–20 hours per week). Paid training of 10–15 hours required.
- Online Tutoring Subjects: Math, science, and Spanish
- Level: High school
Online tutors must be enrolled in (or have graduated) from an American or Canadian college or university and be available to work from 2 p.m. to 1 a.m., Eastern Standard Time. Pay begins at $12 per hour in addition to incentives. Tutors, who are independent contractors must commit to at least 5 hours per week. U.S. residents only. Part-time work available.
- Online Tutoring Subjects: English, math, science, and social studies
- Level: K-12
This online teaching service connects students to tutors from computers in their local library, community center, school, after-school program, or from home. To become certified as an online tutor, you must have a degree from or be enrolled in a U.S. or Canadian college, then you must pass a test in your area of specialty and submit a writing sample. The process takes 1–3 weeks. Pay is based on the subject tutored and the number of hours tutored.
- Online Tutoring Subjects: Math, English, physics, statistics, chemistry, biology and more
- Level: K-12 and college
Hires experienced teachers with graduate degrees usually from outside the U.S. Hours offered are 4 to 9 hours per day. Most hours available are evening/night in U.S. and U.K. time zones. Part-time and full-time.
- Online Tutoring Subjects: Foreign languages, ESL
- Level: Adult learners
Rosetta hires native speakers to facilitate language classes for beginner to advanced students. Languages that Rosetta Stone seeks online tutors in include Vietnamese, Irish, Swedish, Arabic, Japanese, and Chinese.