Part-Time Job Interview Questions and Answers
Get Ready for These Interview Questions – and Prepare Some of Your Own
When you’re interviewing for a part-time job, it’s important to be prepared. That means practicing answers to interview questions that are specific to part-time work, as well as typical interview questions for any job.
In addition to questions about your skills and abilities, you will also be asked about your availability and preferred work schedule. Take care not to paint yourself into a corner when you reply. The employer might ask about your schedule because they anticipate full-time work down the road, or because they know they’ll only have part-time work and want to make sure you’ll be satisfied with the hours available.
Keep your reply general and enthusiastic about the job and the company, and come to the interview prepared to discuss your availability and schedule.
Common Part-Time Job Interview Questions
Review the questions you will most likely be asked, consider how you'll respond, and be ready with a list of your own questions to ask the interviewer.
- What days/hours are you available to work? - Best Answers
- Do you have any activities that would prevent you from working your schedule? - Best Answers
- Would you prefer full-time employment to part-time if a job were available? - Best Answers
- Why do you want this job? - Best Answers
- What are your salary expectations? - Best Answers
- How would you describe the pace at which you work? - Best Answers
- How do you handle stress and pressure? - Best Answers
- Are you overqualified for this job? - Best Answers
- Have you ever had difficulty working with a manager? - Best Answers
- Why do you want to work here? - Best Answers
- Why should we hire you? - Best Answers
- What do you know about this company? - Best Answers
- Why are you the best person for the job? - Best Answers
- What applicable experience do you have? - Best Answers
- What can you contribute to this company? - Best Answers
- What interests you about this job? - Best Answers
- What motivates you? - Best Answers
- What are you looking for in your next job? What is important to you? - Best Answers
Part-Time Job Interview Questions to Ask the Hiring Manager
One of the final questions you may be asked during a job interview is, "Do you have any questions for me?" When you're interviewing for a part-time job, it's important to clarify with your interviewer the number of hours per week you can expect to work, as well what your weekly schedule will likely be.
If you're juggling other responsibilities (like school and a family) around your work schedule, you need to have a sense of what the employer’s expectations will be if you’re hired.
Take the time to ask questions that will clarify the job, schedule, weekly hours, flexibility, and whatever else you need to know to determine whether the job is a good fit for what you're looking for.
- If I'm offered this position, how soon would you like me to start?
- How many part-time people do you employ?
- Is this a position that has always been part-time?
- Would there be an opportunity to work full-time in the future?
- Will I have the opportunity to interview with the supervisor of this position?
- Is there a full-time person here, with similar duties, who I would be working with?
- What are the responsibilities of this position?
- Can you describe for me a typical day in this position?
- How would you describe your company's management style?
- How many part-time employees does this company employ?
- How many full-time employees does this company employ?
- Is there opportunity for growth within the company?
- How many applicants are you interviewing for this position?
- How many employees work in this position?
- Who does this position report to?
- What kinds of performance reviews are done?
- What qualities would you like to see in a person in this position?
- What are some of the challenges in this position?
- What do you think is the best part of this position?
- What do you think is the most difficult part of this position?
- Do you have any additional questions for me?
- When should I expect to hear from you?