Plumbers work in both commercial and residential settings to repair, install, and maintain plumbing fixtures and systems for drainage, heating, drinking, venting, and sewage. A large part of the job involves the ability to work with building blueprints to assess layouts of plumbing systems and the water supply. "Wet-only plumbers" handle piping systems in bathrooms and radiators. "Gas-only plumbers" focus on industrial work.
While plumbers are responsible for a wide range of tasks, there are basic skills that apply to all jobs. Here are some to highlight on your resume, along with a few writing tips about how to create a winning resume.
Outlook for Plumber Jobs
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Occupational Outlook Handbook, career prospects are bright for plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters. The 2019 median pay for individuals in these roles was $55,160 per year ($26.52 per hour), and the number of available jobs is expected to increase 14% by 2028 .
Plumber Job Responsibilities
- Determine what type of plumbing and drainage systems need to be designed
- Review blueprints to determine the type of materials needed to install plumbing systems
- Choose the pipes and other fixtures according to the building blueprint specifications
- Select the materials to install in the plumbing system
- Install plumbing and drainage systems to meet clients’ specifications
- Test plumbing system performance and makes changes as needed to achieve proper working order
- Install fittings and valves
- Install sinks, tubs, toilets and water heaters
- Prepare budgets covering supplies, equipment, and tools
- Perform maintenance on fixtures and pipes as needed
- Perform diagnostic tests and repair faulty systems
- Repair leaks and test pipe systems
Plumbing Skills to Feature on a Resume
- Demonstrated track record troubleshooting complex plumbing systems
- Background working with a range of pipe materials and fittings
- Top-level knowledge in assembling, modifying, and fixing plumbing systems
- Sound abilities in installing pipes fixtures for water, heat, and drainage systems
- Extensive knowledge of trade practices and plumbing codes
- Familiarity with both industrial and commercial plumbing protocols
- Able to estimate materials, equipment costs, and labor time
- Able to perform hydrostatic and pressure tests to locate leakages
- Efficient execution of plumbing orders using blueprints and drawings
- Adept at utilizing and maintaining plumbing tools and equipment
- Proficient with safely making holes in walls and ceilings to access piping
- Skilled in measuring and cutting different size pipes
- Works well independently and without supervision
- Organizes and maintains efficient and accurate records and daily activity reports
Writing Tips for Plumber Resumes
Showcase your skills. If a specific skill is listed as a “Preferred” or “Minimum” qualification on a job advertisement, be sure to mention this on your resume (ideally at the beginning, so that whoever reviews your resume will immediately see that you are a good candidate for the job). Consider adding a dedicated skills section to your resume so that your qualifications are clear at a single glance.
List all training and certifications. Your training, apprenticeships, and certifications should be outlined in the “Education” section of your resume. This is also a good place to mention any labor union memberships or other professional affiliations.
Proofread. Read and then reread your resume and its accompanying cover letter to ensure that they are free of spelling, grammatical, and / or formatting errors. Here are some good proofreading tips to ensure that your documents are letter-perfect.
Plumber Resume Example
A resume example can help you decide what kind of content to include, as well as how to format your resume. However, be sure to tailor the sample to fit your own experiences, and the job you are applying for.
Sample Plumber Resume (Text Version)
8072 Skyview Avenue • Philadelphia, PA 19108 • (111) 111-1111 • email@example.com
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Highly skilled Plumber with 6 years’ experience in both industrial and commercial plumbing. Demonstrated track record troubleshooting complex plumbing systems, estimating and controlling project costs, and ensuring compliance with all trade practices and plumbing codes.
ASTIMORE PLUMBING SUPPLY AND SERVICE, Philadelphia, PA
Sales Assistant, June 2015 - Present
Assemble, install and repair pipes, fittings, and fixtures of heating, water, and drainage systems. Install and repair plumbing fixtures such as sinks, bathtubs, water heaters, hot water tanks, garbage disposal units, and dishwashers.
· Worked effectively with the construction department to plan plumbing necessities for new buildings, including studying blueprints and developing logical plans for installation.
· Assisted with training of plumber apprentices.
SARASOTA PLUMBING, Philadelphia, PA
Plumber Assistant / Apprentice, June 2014 – June 2015
Repaired basic home plumbing issues such as clogs and leaks. Assisted plumber with piping, sewage, and installation of new home appliances.
· Earned NCCER Certification and advanced Certification in Plumbing Design.
Plumber Apprentice Program
Penn Foster; Scranton, PA
- Successful completion of program
- Plumber license
Scranton High School
- Varsity basketball team
- Captain, debate team