Writing your resume and cover letters can be a challenge, and you may not know how to get started. One of the best ways to find inspiration for writing your own application materials is to browse examples for similar job positions and skill sets.
Below you will find a variety of samples for job applicants. These will give you an idea of the skills and experience you should highlight when writing your own resume, as well as how to write a cover letter in your industry of choice.
Take a look at a few of the examples and make notes about what you like most about each. Note how the writer uses keywords to grab the hiring manager's attention and show what makes the candidate stand out.
Resume and Cover Letter Samples
When writing your cover letter and resume, don't be bashful. These two documents are your opportunity to promote your skills and personality. Keep it professional, but also sell yourself and your qualifications to do the job. Use these examples to get suggestions for your own interview-winning job application materials.
Administrative assistants, receptionists, and office managers perform many of the same tasks. These examples will help you write your own cover letters and resume for any of these positions.
Keep in mind that employers often look for strong communication and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to work independently and efficiently when hiring for these positions. Highlight your strengths in these areas and be sure to note any relevant experience.
- Administrative Cover Letter
- Administrative Assistant Cover Letter
- Event Planner Resume
- Receptionist Cover Letters
- Office Manager / Administrative Resume
Business and Finance Jobs
The world of business and finance is very complex, and there are a variety of jobs available in these industries. The following cover letter and resume examples can inspire your own no matter what position you are seeking in this sector.
The key to writing an effective cover letter and resume for the business world is to play up your strengths and experience. Your cover letter should give one or two specific examples demonstrating how you helped your previous employer gain a competitive edge or meet a goal. Your resume can be tailored to highlight your strengths and experience in the best light, so be sure to look at the targeted and functional examples as well.
- Business Cover Letter Examples
- Business Technology Cover Letter
- Consultant Cover Letter
- Customer Service Cover Letter
- Customer Service Resume
- Director of Operations Cover Letter
- Executive Resume
- Finance Cover Letter
- Health Insurance / Finance Resume
- Human Resources Resume
- Human Resources Targeted Resume
- Recruiting Manager Resume and Cover Letter
- Urban Planning Functional Resume
If you are in the business of communications, then your resume and cover letters had better be the best a hiring manager will see! This is, after all, your career and if you cannot sell yourself properly before you get the job, it puts your value to their team in question.
Grammar and spelling should be perfect, and you can use your cover letter to show off your writing and communication skills, giving it your unique voice. Use these examples as a framework and build on them while making sure that you include your most valuable experience.
- Advertising Resume
- Communications / Higher Education Cover Letter
- Editorial Cover Letter and Resume
- Freelance Writer Cover Letter
- Marketing Assistant Cover Letter for College Seniors
- Market Research Analyst Cover Letter and Resume
- Media Relations Cover Letter for Recent Graduates
- Part-Time Writer / Editor Resume
- Photographer Cover Letter
- Professional Writer Cover Letter
- Social Media Manager Cover Letter
- Writer / Freelance Resume
Construction and Maintenance Jobs
Skilled trade jobs in construction and maintenance require a detailed resume and cover letter highlighting your experience. These examples will give you an idea of what to include, no matter if you're a journeyman electrician, a construction site manager or anywhere in between.
The ability to troubleshoot problems, demonstrate high technical skills and work efficiently and independently are most important in these trades. Be sure to highlight those in your cover letter with any supervisory experience. Don't forget to include all certifications and affiliations in your resume as well.
- Construction Management Cover Letter
- Electrician Resume
- Engineer Resume
- Plumber Resume
- Transportation Planner Resume
Working in education can be very rewarding, and it is important to convey your experience in your cover letters and resume. When applying for a position, highlight your unique and most important skills because this can be a very competitive job market, especially when the pay is above average.
Be sure to research the school that you are applying to before writing your cover letter so you can add a little enthusiasm to demonstrate why you want to work there. Also, include any teaching experience you have - summer sessions as well - particularly if you're just starting out.
- Admissions Counselor Cover Letter and Resume
- Athletic Director Cover Letter and Resume
- Education Cover Letter
- Librarian Cover Letter and Resume
- Special Education Teacher Cover Letter
- Speech Pathologist Cover Letter and Resume
- Teacher Resume
- Tutor Cover Letter and Resume
It is becoming more common for cooks and waiters to apply for jobs with a cover letter and resume instead of a simple application. This is especially true if you want to work in high-end restaurants.
Customer service and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment are key to all of these positions, be sure to highlight those in your experience. Chefs will want to show off their skills; consider mentioning a particular dish that was a hit at your last position.
Professional bartenders and others in the hospitality industry can also use these examples.
- Chef Resume
- Cook Cover Letter and Resume
- Hotel Front Desk Resume
- Summer Hotel Job Resume
- Waiter/Waitress Cover Letter and Resume
Information Technology Jobs
Jobs in information technology (IT) are very technical, and your cover letters and resume should reflect your technical expertise. Use the examples to get an idea of formatting and what details you need to include.
Remember that this field is very competitive, and you need to stand out from the other applicants. Because your resume may look like others, pay special attention to your cover letter. Give examples of how your work improved the company you worked for or met a specific challenge.
- Android Developer Resume
- Biomedical Engineer Cover Letter
- Database Administrator Cover Letter
- eCommerce Cover Letter
- Front End Web Developer Resume
- Help Desk Technician Resume
- Information Security Analyst Cover Letter and Resume
- Scrum Master Resume
- Software Developer Cover Letter and Resume
- Software Engineer Cover Letter and Resume
- Tech Contractor Resume
- Web Design Specialist with Salary Range
Retail / Sales Jobs
Showing off your experience in retail or sales is an important part of applying for a new job. Hiring managers often look for employees that have a background with strong customer service and merchandising skills as well as those they can trust with money.
Whether you are seeking a management or sales floor position, your management cover letters and resume should detail your work experience. Formatting your jobs in chronological order, beginning with the most recent position is used most often in retail.
- Retail Management Cover Letter
- Retail Chronological Resume
- Sales and Marketing Cover Letters
- Store Manager Cover Letter
- Summer Sales Associate Resume
Summer Jobs and Internships
Young people may not have the work experience to fill up an entire resume, but there are ways to supplement that when you need to write a cover letter and resume. Include volunteer experience, school activities, and other accomplishments.
Employers don't expect teens and college students to have a lot of jobs listed. Instead, they are looking for self-starters and reliable employees. Capitalize on that and use these examples as inspiration.
- First Resume Example
- High School Student Resume Example
- Internship Cover Letter
- Finance Internship Cover Letter
- Lifeguard Resume
- Nanny Cover Letter and Resume
- Part-Time Job Resume for Teenagers
- Resume With Part-Time Jobs
- Student Resume With GPA
- Summer Camp Counselor Cover Letter and Resume
- Summer Cashier Cover Letter
- Summer Job Cover Letter
- More Student Resume Examples and Templates