Sample Internship Social Work Resume
Elements of a Resume When Applying for Social Work Internships
If your training and background are based in social work, you probably have top-notch interpersonal skills, but you can't use them to sell yourself – yet. First, you have to get your foot in the door. You have to snag an interview. And to do that, you need a great resume.
There's no getting around it. The whole concept of a resume is intimidating. You're forced to rely on a dry document to do what you could much more easily do in person. Here are some tips to ramp that document up a little, and a sample you can use as a template to write your own.
Tips for a Resume That Packs a Punch
You'll notice right off the bat that there's no "objective" paragraph in the sample below. That's because Juliet Martin has lots of tried-and-true experience that speaks for itself. Unless you're straight out of school and the ink still damp on your diploma, your objective is obviously to use that experience. You want that internship – you wouldn't be submitting your resume otherwise. So don't waste your reader's time with the obvious. Cut to the chase.
List your accomplishments and your experience – but not necessarily every accomplishment and all your experience. Again, you want to cut to the chase. If a job or award has absolutely nothing to do with the position you seek, it's OK to leave it out. This leaves you more room to highlight what you did for each employer you do list, or why you were tapped for a certain award or accolade.
This resume doesn't list awards or other citations of recognition, but you can insert them before "Extracurricular Activities" if you have any that are pertinent to the position you seek. Or, if they're noteworthy, start right out with them before you list your education. If nothing else, you'll get your reader's attention.
Now Put It All Together
Here's a sample you can use to tailor your own superb sell of yourself.
Sample Internship Social Work Resume (Text Only)
212 Elk Ave. Apt. 5A
New York, N.Y. 10032
718) 916-1224) / email@example.com
Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT, May 20XX
Bachelors in Social Work
Cumulative GPA: 3.45; Major GPA: 3.7
Jackson Secondary School, New York, NY, June 20XX
Assistant, Family Court Project, New York, NY, Summer 20XX
- Worked as assistant to Dr. Miriam Alkon
- Assisted with family assessments and therapy sessions
Program Assistant, American Heart Research Institute, New York, NY, Fall 20XX
- Researched potential sponsors to request donations to the organization
- Sent grant requests to sponsors and maintained database of donations
Assistant, Eye Care Program, I.S. 141 East Falkon Jr. High School, New York, NY, Summer 20XX
- Assisted in canceling and making appointments
- Organized files and provided administrative support
Volunteer, John Kerry Campaign, Middlebury, VT, Fall 20XX
- Volunteered to make phone calls and registered voters
Nutritional Assistant, Building Healthy Communities Program, New York, NY, Summer 20XX
- Volunteered to build healthy communities in after school program
- Created lesson plans to teach and communicate to students about health issues and how to eat healthily
Tutor, St. Helena Academy, (After School Program), New York, NY, Summer 20XX
- Assisted 6-8th graders with homework assignments
- Instructed students on how to make masks
Intern, Jackson Commonwealth Internship, New York, NY, Fall 20XX
- Organized projects blueprints, handled phone calls
- Scheduled appointments, filed papers, organized information into Excel and ACT!
Tutor, St. Helena Academy, New York, NY, Spring 20XX
- Assisted 6-8th grades with homework assignment and constructive recreation time
Club Treasurer, Club Español, Middlebury, VT, Fall 20XX – Spring 20XX
Residential Assistant, Residential Life (On Campus), Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT, Spring 20XX
- Created leisure programs for residents
Volunteer, Beneficta, Middlebury, VT
- Volunteered to set up mentoring parties for the local “Big Brother/Big Sister” club
Participant, College for Every Student (CFES) Jonston Scholarship Program, New York, NY
Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel
Fluent in English and Spanish