Sample Thank You Letter for an Internship
It's always a good idea to say thank you after you have finished an internship. It's a way to show your appreciation for the opportunity and to continue your relationship with the organization. If you play your cards right, it could even set the stage for turning your internship into a full-time, paying job.
The primary goal, however, is to do what it says on the tin: thank your employer and the people you have worked with for the opportunity to develop your skills, gain job experience, and learn all that they had to teach you.
An example of a good internship thank-you letter follows, but first, let’s look at a few guidelines for writing your letter:
What to Do
- Express your gratitude and appreciation.
- Include specifics about the things you learned and the experiences that were most useful.
- Thank everyone who helped you. You might even send separate notes to each individual who worked with you during your internship. If you go this route, make sure to send different notes, not variations on the same letter. It’s unlikely people will compare, but it means more if you send a genuine thank you, and not just a form letter.
- Provide your contact information – including your LinkedIn URL - so that the employer and the other professionals you met during your internship can keep in touch with you should they wish.
What to Not to Do
- Ask for a job outright. Your thank-you letter can certainly set the stage for a job offer down the line, but you don’t want to seem like you’re only saying thank you in order to get something else. Use this note to keep the connection strong and express your thanks. If you mention future job opportunities, do so with tact. (See the sample letter for an example.)
- Use the letter to vent frustrations or to express negative sentiments about the company, its employees, or the experience. If you had issues with any aspect of your internship, now is not the time to bring it up.
- Include anything that isn’t genuine. False compliments come off as phony, even in the hands of a skilled writer. Hopefully, even if your experience was less than 100 percent positive, there was something about your internship that you value. Talk about that, and leave the rest aside.
Sample Internship Thank You Letter
This thank-you letter example is a model for you to adapt and use to thank your employer after completing an internship. It can be sent either as a paper letter through snail mail or by email.
City, State, Zip Code
Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name,
I want to thank you for giving me the opportunity to serve as marketing intern at XYZ College’s Marketing and External Affairs Office. I have gained valuable insight into the marketing industry over the past six months.
Because you gave me the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, I had the chance to observe numerous aspects of college marketing, from publishing magazines and brochures, to drafting email newsletters, to maintaining the college website. You and your staff were extremely welcoming and helpful, and offered me terrific career advice.
This internship has definitely increased my interest in pursuing a career in marketing. I would love to stay in touch, and perhaps speak to you regarding steps I should take in the future to pursue a career in marketing. Once again, thank you for a terrific six months.
Your Signature (hard copy letter)
Your Typed Name
Sending Your Thank-You by Email
When you're sending an email thank you message, put your name and "thank you" in the Subject of the message so that it's sure to be read:
Subject: Your Name - Thank You for the Opportunity